• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandlapper1909

What is the name of your state?Florida: I was divorced in Florida with alimony awarded $1 a year for 5 years. I was also given the opportunity to come back every 5 years to renegotiate alimony payments. I have moved to another state and so has my ex. Do I have to go back to Florida to try to file for more alimony in that state or can I do it in the state I live in? Do I have to notify my ex of my intentions, if so, how can I find him?

AHA

sandlapper1909 said:
What is the name of your state?Florida: I was divorced in Florida with alimony awarded $1 a year for 5 years. I was also given the opportunity to come back every 5 years to renegotiate alimony payments. I have moved to another state and so has my ex. Do I have to go back to Florida to try to file for more alimony in that state or can I do it in the state I live in? Do I have to notify my ex of my intentions, if so, how can I find him?
Whhy were you only awarded one dollar a year?

sandlapper1909

My ex didn't have a lot of income at the time. I got almost everything else that was tangible property at the time and it seemed the judge liked me. It was an agreement that was made during arbitration for the $1. My ex signed the papers without his lawyers help. She was watching her little boy, who was with her in the meeting. The meeting was very long and he signed the papers he shouldn't have just because he was tired and she, his lawyer, told him he had to sign the papers that day. He was pretty messed up emotionally and did what his lawyer told him, so he didn't have a good lawyer. He really didn't know he could get half of what we owned. I was awarded alimony for life, even though I made more money when I worked, than he did. I was just given the right to come back every 5 years to try to get more alimony if he got decent work. I just don't know if I have to go back to Florida to file for it or if I can do it whereever I am in the US.

LdiJ

sandlapper1909 said:
My ex didn't have a lot of income at the time. I got almost everything else that was tangible property at the time and it seemed the judge liked me. It was an agreement that was made during arbitration for the $1. My ex signed the papers without his lawyers help. She was watching her little boy, who was with her in the meeting. The meeting was very long and he signed the papers he shouldn't have just because he was tired and she, his lawyer, told him he had to sign the papers that day. He was pretty messed up emotionally and did what his lawyer told him, so he didn't have a good lawyer. He really didn't know he could get half of what we owned. I was awarded alimony for life, even though I made more money when I worked, than he did. I was just given the right to come back every 5 years to try to get more alimony if he got decent work. I just don't know if I have to go back to Florida to file for it or if I can do it whereever I am in the US.
If you made more money than he did at the time of the divorce...and have been divorced for 5 years, what is your rationale for asking for an alimony adjustment at this time?

You need to realize that its likely that he is going to be far more on top of things this time....and that a judge would likely demand a pretty good reason to give you an increase. This isn't like child support. Its going to pretty much be up to the judge's discretion.

nextwife

Ummm, I'm curious. If he really DIDN'T make much during the marriage AND you got virually EVERYTHING, WHY do you you think you should even be entitled to anything more? Because you are female???

mooloo27

Please dont make all us females look bad ...leave the poor guy alone for gods sake!!! I didnt have a job when I left my hubby ...I only had 25 bucks in my pocket...and two kids to take care of ...no car...and I gave him the house the only car we had all of our possessions except for a few things....gave him his 401K and all I asked for in return was child support for the kids NOT me.

From what you have written you make yourself look like a money hungry person ...I would rethink going to court and trying to get more money...and try living for yourself instead of trying for handouts. :mad:

Is there a legal term for greedy whore?

Just curious.

BTW... you must have been such a pleasure to be married to....

BelizeBreeze

Alright children, getting back to the LEGAL issue, yes, alimony can be appealed (amended) during the life of the award.

Therefore, since Florida allows two types of alimony, permanent and rehabilitative (fixed-term), the first thing to know is how long the alimony is to run.

In florida, there are specific grounds for determining Alimony, and getting the lion's share of the marital assets is not one of them.

sandlapper1909

Florida: Does he have to be in the court when I come back to try to get more alimony or do I get what I want if he doesn't show up on the court date? What if I can't find him to notify him. We were supposed to keep each other informed of our addresses but neither of us do that. I know I can find him one way or the other, but do I have to is the question.

BelizeBreeze

sandlapper1909 said:
Florida: Does he have to be in the court when I come back to try to get more alimony or do I get what I want if he doesn't show up on the court date? What if I can't find him to notify him. We were supposed to keep each other informed of our addresses but neither of us do that. I know I can find him one way or the other, but do I have to is the question.
I tried to keep this discussion on a professional level. But, when you say things like "do I get what I want..." and "does he have to be in the court" then You show your true colors.

You will receive no further help from me.

nextwife

Why would the court care if he recieves notice and is served that you are going for alimony? Why would his due process rights be important? Why would the court possibly care whether there is a significant difference in your respective incomes and whether he even has more income than you? Why would the court want to know that the income you want your SS based on is at all representative of his actual income?

After all, you are a woman, isn't THAT a good enough reason to make him pay spousal support, what else could possibly be important for the court to consider!?

ablessin

That is a very interesting way to post.

Cover to look like she is writing and it's really the man posing as the money hungry ex wife? Now I am confused as to who is really the poster and I am not sure how to (or IF) I should even respond.

I had an answer composed until the "cat" was let out of the bag!!!!!!!

WHO are you sandlaper - -- he or she?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">