• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entire Medical Record Hippa Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

molady123

:( Missouri) I am 20 year service connected veteran. My entire medical record was sent to my brother instead of me when I requested the copy for a VA Claim. I have not got along with my brother for over a year. The record contained my mental health records also. This was done at a VA Hospital. I have filed a HIPPA violation. Is there anything I can do with a lawyer since this is a VA hospital.What lawyer if any could handle this. I feel very over whelmed by this and I am struggling to deal with this. I have been treated for PTSD since 1998 and this incident has made me very suicidal. I wanted to kill my self when I found out my records were released to my brother. I have constant thoughts of suicide. I feel helpless and very violated. I can not believe this has happened. Any advise would be appreciated.

rmet4nzkx

molady123 said:
:( Missouri) I am 20 year service connected veteran. My entire medical record was sent to my brother instead of me when I requested the copy for a VA Claim. I have not got along with my brother for over a year. The record contained my mental health records also. This was done at a VA Hospital. I have filed a HIPPA violation. Is there anything I can do with a lawyer since this is a VA hospital.What lawyer if any could handle this. I feel very over whelmed by this and I am struggling to deal with this. I have been treated for PTSD since 1998 and this incident has made me very suicidal. I wanted to kill my self when I found out my records were released to my brother. I have constant thoughts of suicide. I feel helpless and very violated. I can not believe this has happened. Any advise would be appreciated.
How is it they were sent to your brother instead of you? Please explain. Sometimes, psychological records are not sent to you directly and thus may have been released to an authorized agent, is it possible that you gave your brother as the person to contact or some waiver that you forgot to recind? If you are treated for PTSD and are suicidal, you should never have access to your medical records, they should have gone to a medical/psychological professional.

molady123

Medical Record HIPPA Violation

:( Missouri) I was sent to PTSD treatment in another state for 3 months and had my mail and meds forwarded to my brother. It was while I was in treatment that my relationship with my brother ended. When I returned Nov 03. I had my brother removed from the forwarding of med and mail. I even asked several times if this was permanent when I removed his address and put mine back in the system.. Was told yes. I recieved my VA mail and meds to my address correctly after that. VA admits to the mistake. Said the address was used by mistake and they did not use the release of information form I signed to send it correctly. They talked to my brother and asked that the records be returned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">