• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Courier/messenger service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kstone2004

What is the name of your state? KY

First of all, what do I need to start this type of business?

Second, on the SBA website I read something about filing for a fictious name certificate. What is that and why do I need one?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Keith

racer72

It is obvious you don't know what you are doing. Go get a job in the industry, learn all you can top to bottom including any all government regulations related to the industry. Then, and only then, will you be ready to start a business that you are interested in.

kstone2004

As a matter of fact, I worked in the industry for 6 years. But simply holding a position in an industry will not teach you all aspects of the industry. Your employer will not teach you how to start your own business to be their competitor. There are unanswered questions that need addressing before starting any kind of business. Now, can you answer my question about what a fictitious name certificate is?

Also, when you work at that type of job you are likely to be required to sign a non-compete agreement prohibiting you from starting your own business in that industry for at least a year or two. I'm trying to fly around that obstacle.

brandonlightbod

The fictitious name thing is called A DBA " Doing Buisness As" what it is if your not going to use your own name in your buisnees " John Smith Construction" You make A DBA "J&L Construction" You file papers on behalf of you and your buisness and It gives you the legal right to use that name officialy. It also protects someone else from using it. The best thing to do is go see A layer and they can file the papers for you. Also when your fileing for your DBA They will check to see if the Name you want already exists.

Good luck

kstone2004

Thank you brandon............very helpful. I think I'm a bit closer to getting it started now. I just needed to find the answers out to some questions. That question was my last obstacle. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">