• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no deed registered on my home mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madia

no deed registered--please help with advice!!!

What is the name of your state?I live in Indiana.

I recently discovered that the home I bought 2 years ago, does not have a deed registered to me. The deed is in the prior owners name. I investigated my title company and they are now out of business and did not forward me title insurance policy either--but I did pay for it and it is listed on mortgage paperwork. My taxes are now doubled because I could not file any exemptions because I did not have a deed. The mortgage is registered and on my credit, but I have no deed to the home. How can they charge me a mortgage for a home that is not in my name? Who is responsible for the tax penalties? I was able to track down a title company that bought out my prior title company and they were at a lost on what to do and if they can even help me. They said they would need to discuss with their lawyers. Everyone agrees this is a big mistake and mess, but do not know who is responsible to fix or pay. My mortgage was even bought by two other companies and they did not catch that I did not have a deed. Big question--- Can I be liable for a mortgage if no deed in my name? Any advice???

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">