• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim Deed and Mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angie409

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I am married and we own a home. My husband wants to sign a Quit Claim Deed and turn the house over to me. However, the mortgage is in his name only. Is he still responsible for the mortgage if he signs the Quit Claim Deed? Is there something that can be added to the Quit Claim Deed so he is no longer responsible for the mortgage? I cannot qualify for a loan, so that is not an option. Thanks!

divgradcurl

Is he still responsible for the mortgage if he signs the Quit Claim Deed?
Yes, and most likely the bank will want the motgage paid in full when the deed transfers -- he should read his mortgage agreement.

Is there something that can be added to the Quit Claim Deed so he is no longer responsible for the mortgage?
No. The mortgage agreement is being him and the bank. Any changes to the mortgage agreement must be agreed to by the bank.

I cannot qualify for a loan, so that is not an option.
Well, then I guess you are stuck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">