• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had car stolen by meth-heads and they were caught, need advice!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonbaby

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

Hello all. I'm new to the forums here but not new to forums in general. Okay, here goes:

Late Sunday night between the hours of 10pm and 5am PST, my 1990 Toyota Camry was stolen for the second time in a month :mad: However, this time they caught the bandits! Arounf five hours after filing my police report with Vancouver PD, I got a phone call informing me that my car had been involved in a hit-and-run and that they had caught the kids. The people they arrested were a 19 y/o female (on meth w/ meth on her person) and a 17 y/o male (on meth w/ meth on his person). I could scream.

At this point, all I know is that my car is in Grant's Pass, OR (about 5 hours drive south, they were on their way to California since that's right on the border, my assumption) in a wreckage yard and the yard wants $220 to get my car out. Not to mention how the hell am I gonna get down there, right? Anyways, that's not my issue here.

Stealing a car and crossing state lines is a Federal offense, yes? This is what my mother-in-law the paralegal has told me. If that's so, what are these two kids facing? I believe the 19 y/o was driving, but don't hold me to that.

Secondly, I had an idea. I have a way of finding out whether or not the minor involved has a record or not. If so, I had planned on holding the parents accountable for improper supervision. Here's where I really need some assistance from an attorney:

I am planning on calling the parents of the minor and attempting to settle out of court with them. I am prepared to ask them for $3,000 in lieu of bringing forward a civil suit against them for negligence of their troubled teen. Not to mention the pain and embarrassment of having me contact the press on this matter and having the news make it all public. I would do this very respectfully and in as non-threatening a way as possible. I could have my mother-in-law draw up sufficient documentation to make it all legal. My car was worth $5000 and the rest of it would cover my costs for having to miss work, drive practically all the way down to California from Washington, get my gar out of wreckage, and punitive damages.

Any ideas any of you have are very welcome. If I'm on the wrong track and there is a better way to get compensation I'm all ears. I'm not going after the 19 y/o because how many 19 y/o meth head women can you think of that have money?

Thanks in advance, Jonathan

CdwJava

jonbaby said:
Stealing a car and crossing state lines is a Federal offense, yes? This is what my mother-in-law the paralegal has told me. If that's so, what are these two kids facing? I believe the 19 y/o was driving, but don't hold me to that.
I don't think theft is an issue that the feds will get involved in. What they face will be whatever the penalty is in Washington for auto theft. They also face charges in Oregon for whatever offenses they might file there related to the crash and the possession of the stolen car.

Secondly, I had an idea. I have a way of finding out whether or not the minor involved has a record or not. If so, I had planned on holding the parents accountable for improper supervision.
Good luck with that one! Unless WA holds parents strictly accountable even for a 17-yearold, I doubt that there is going to be much that can be done by going after their parents. It may be possible IF you can show that the 17-year-old was responsible for the theft.

Any ideas any of you have are very welcome. If I'm on the wrong track and there is a better way to get compensation I'm all ears. I'm not going after the 19 y/o because how many 19 y/o meth head women can you think of that have money?
If the 17-year-old was with him, chances are mom and dad aren't supervising and are without means as well. It's doubtful that the teenage child of someone of means was kicking it with some strung out meth-head ... it's possible, just unlikely.

If the 17-year-old is held to be at least partially responsible for the crime, then they will be ordered to make restitution. This restitution may include the loss of work and other expenses ... but, I am not familiar with what WA law may allow for restitution, so you may NOT be eligible for those losses. If the teen has to make restitution it is likely that mom and dad will have to do that.

And before you make ANY claim against the teen (that is IF you can get any information on the teen without going to court ... you couldn't in CA) you might want to see who is facing what criminal charges. If the teen is absolved of the theft and not charged, mom and dad would tell you to pound sand.

I would recommend that you speak with an attorney in WA about your options.

- Carl

jonbaby

Thanks for your reply, Carl. I am waiting for a call back from a WA defense attorney that is a family friend. I'll be sure to post my findings in case anyone's interested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">