• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights in VA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SarahinVirginia

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am in my early 30's, husband in his mid 30's. We are financially stable professionals, expecting our first child (boy) together. He has a 10 year old son from a previous relationship (joint custody).

We have decided we do not want my parents, who live in SC, to have anything to do with our (impending) son or other children. They were emotionally and verbally abusive toward me and my sisters when I was growing up. They have been extremely hostile towards my husband and stepson (badmouthing me to them and vice versa), had told me when we announced our engagement that they were violently opposed to my getting married and have a family. they pressured me not to keep our (impending) son, who is healthy and very much wanted, when they first heard of him. Four months later, they have changed their tune and are talking about taking us to court for "grandparents rights". We do not want our son to be subjected to people who felt this way about him; or to suffer the same emotional/verbal abuse my sisters and I did.

Also, I suffered depression as a child/teenager as a result of living in that environment; relapsed and was on antidepressants for 3 years in my 20's. I still see a counselor, but have not been on antidepressants for about 5 years. Is it possible for them to use this information against us in court, to prove us unfit parents? (They have decided that's what I am, before my son is even born. :mad: )

BL

It would take a lot more than that to find you unfit .

What kind of relationship have they had w/ the 10 Y/O ?

Have you been a caregiver for the 10 Y/O without any problems , and for how long .

I wouldn't worry about them having visitation rights .

SarahinVirginia

Joint custody almost 4 years (I have known my stepson for 6) but I have never been his "primary" caregiver (ie, never had sole custody). But I do contribute to taking care of him (bedtime stories, rides to soccer practice, etc) and we have a great relationship.

They are kinda "fake polite" to him when they see him; which is maybe once a year (4 times in his life) if that... They don't make the effort really (he's not their "real" grandchild), and obviously, we haven't tried to build a relationship between the two.

Last edited:

BL

SarahinVirginia said:
Joint custody almost 4 years (I have known my stepson for 6) but I have never been his "primary" caregiver (ie, never had sole custody). But I do contribute to taking care of him (bedtime stories, rides to soccer practice, etc) and we have a great relationship.

They are kinda "fake polite" to him when they see him; which is maybe once a year (4 times in his life) if that... They don't make the effort really (he's not their "real" grandchild), and obviously, we haven't tried to build a relationship between the two.
http://family-law.freeadvice.com/child_custody/grandparents_visitation_rights.htm

They have had No grounds for visitations .
They will be wasting their money , and causing you some financial expenditures .

Some people are just bullheaded and persistent .

I originally read it wrong . These are YOUR parents , not his.

Last edited:

LdiJ

They seriously have no hope of prevailing with a grandparent's visitation rights case. You and your husband are an "intact" family. The VA Supreme courted has already ruled that intact families cannot be sued for third party/grandparent visitation rights.

Even if they had standing to sue....they can't prove a prior relationship with your child....so that would make them dead in the water anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">