• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony in MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wilsonsm

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Good day, I have been married for almost 10 years when my wife and I separated. I have been told conflicting information about alimony, I would like to find out if I am required to pay alimony or not. We do not have any children and she has been working during the entire marriage. I make a little more than double what she does, also she has moved back in with her father.

Thanks for your time.

LdiJ

wilsonsm said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

Good day, I have been married for almost 10 years when my wife and I separated. I have been told conflicting information about alimony, I would like to find out if I am required to pay alimony or not. We do not have any children and she has been working during the entire marriage. I make a little more than double what she does, also she has moved back in with her father.

Thanks for your time.
If you are required to pay any alimony it won't be much, and it would be for a limited amount of time. Basically its purpose would be to allow her to brush up her skills in order to obtain more gainful employment.

Naturally your marital assets/debts will need to be divided as well.

dallas702

Or, to equalize the incomes (as more was lost by her in the split of the family income). You may have to pay 1/2 the difference between yours and hers. I've seen that quite a few times. You may also have to give up 1/2 of your retirement someday.....in addition to division of other assets.

Get a GOOD attorney. This is a very expensive part of getting divorced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">