• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm so confused!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGarrison

What is the name of your state? Florida
My husband and I have been contacted by a young lady wanting us to Adopt her unborn child. We live in Georgia and she lives in Florida. We do not have enough time to complete all paperwork needed before the baby is born (due June 7, 2005). Her state case worker told her as long as she signs custody to us at the time of birth (in the hospital) that we would be allowed to take the baby home with us and complete all necessary paperwork there after.
Is this correct and do we need any legal papers drawn up prior to the birth?

I

itsacatsworld

A young girl in another state just happened to pick your name out of the blue and says hey you guys want a kid? Whats the whole story here?

SGarrison

Sorry! I didn't think how she contacted us made a difference but here it is.
The young lady is the best friend of my niece and I have personally known her since she was 7 or 8 years old (she is now 20). My neice knew we were interested in adopting and told her friend which in return contacted us.

panzertanker

SGarrison said:
Sorry! I didn't think how she contacted us made a difference but here it is.
The young lady is the best friend of my niece and I have personally known her since she was 7 or 8 years old (she is now 20). My neice knew we were interested in adopting and told her friend which in return contacted us.
GET AN ATTORNEY ASAP!!!!
DO NOT SIGN, TAKE, GIVE MONEY, ETC. TO/FOR THIS GIRL UNTIL YOUR ATTORNEY (you are looking frantically through the phone book right now, aren't you???) HAS LOOKED AT IT AND ADVIZED YOU OF YOUR RIGHTS!!!

That is the very best advice you will EVER get from this site, and I am happy to provide it to you.

momofrose

Do you have a current homestudy????

You can not bring a baby home without a current homestudy.

Good luck

Get an experienced adoption attorney immediately!

There is a lot more initially to do than just "sign over rights", especially when the child is in another state.

Do a Google for "interstate adoption" and you will see what I mean.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">