• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

could i get alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladyhawke

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I'd like to know if i am entitled to alimony. We lived in California and I moved to Ks to get divorce and b back by family?

djohnson

Ok, how about some pertinent information like how long you have been married and do you work and is there a major difference between what you make?

BelizeBreeze

ladyhawke said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas
I'd like to know if i am entitled to alimony. We lived in California and I moved to Ks to get divorce and b back by family?
The answer to your question is yes.....no...and maybe.

ladyhawke

djohnson said:
Ok, how about some pertinent information like how long you have been married and do you work and is there a major difference between what you make?

we were married in 1998 and yes i work but he makes double what i do

djohnson

At best, in my opinion, the only thing you might get is rehabiliatative alimony for a short period of time. Talk to your attorney, you may be entitled to a portion of 401k's and such in the amount it has risen since you were married, you would also be responsible for a portion of the debt.

ablessin

Married in 1998 is probably not long enough to collect alimony, since you work.
Do you have kids?

The only 401 K you'd have access to is monies deposited WHILE you were married, not for the rest of his working career.

In a 7 year marriage, it's probably a few thousand dollars...... you'd get half.

You might get $4 - 6 thousand at most. Not enough to buy a new car with, but enough to invest (or take a vacation)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">