• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

update: minor caught shoplifting--punishment extreme?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihsgirl06

What is the name of your state? Washington

Earlier I posted about how I was caught shoplifting last Saturday at a local grocery store. I would like to thank those that responded. Anyway, a respondant told me that we could file a complaint against the store about having a male officer pat me down, me being a female minor.

My dad called the store's main office concerning the fine (payment plan) and she found it very upsetting to hear of the way the officer treated me and gave my dad the number of the officer's boss. So this Tuesday (when he returns to work) my father will call him, and I hope this leads somewhere good. Thanks for your input!

BelizeBreeze

I am the one who told you that and I'm glad you are doing something about it.

HOWEVER, it in no way mitigates YOUR responsibility for the theft and in NO WAY relieves you of your duty to make restitution.

I hope you understand that because if you don't, you'll receive no further help from me.

Deal?

ihsgirl06

And I COMPLETELY understand that it in no way will excuse, or really even have any affect on what I did, it was completely my fault. It was my choice, and I was punished for it.

It sounds like the security officer will be punished though, the manager of the store's headquarters was very disturbed at what my dad told her. His boss will be on vacation for a while and hopefully will call back asap. Thanks again for your advice!

Oh, and deal :p

BelizeBreeze

ihsgirl06 said:

And I COMPLETELY understand that it in no way will excuse, or really even have any affect on what I did, it was completely my fault. It was my choice, and I was punished for it.

It sounds like the security officer will be punished though, the manager of the store's headquarters was very disturbed at what my dad told her. His boss will be on vacation for a while and hopefully will call back asap. Thanks again for your advice!

Oh, and deal :p
You have taken a step to becoming a contributing adult. Congrats.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">