• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shrimpy95

What is the name of your state? Ohio

A friend and I recently purchased a home and things are not working out between us. We both are on the title and mortgage. We share a child. In which I have custody. What will happen to the house if we split up. We were never married. Neither of us want to give it up. I know about the quickclaim deed.

BelizeBreeze

Nothing WILL happen to the house.

However, several things CAN happen.

Since the two of you are not married, there is no provision for the court to split the home equitably unless one or the other of you decide to file Partition which will require the home either be sold or split (chainsaw time).

OR, one can leave and agree that if the other stays in the home, they are to assume all mortgage payments in lieu of rent while both parties retain their ownership interest...

OR....CHAINSAW

shrimpy95

What if we can't come to an agreement on who leaves. And we both know that we can't sell it and get what we paid for it plus the early payoff penalty. Then what do we do?

BelizeBreeze

shrimpy95 said:
What if we can't come to an agreement on who leaves. And we both know that we can't sell it and get what we paid for it plus the early payoff penalty. Then what do we do?
Menage a' Tois???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">