• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming a dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjohnson13

What is the name of your state? Oregon.

Hello, I have claimed my daughter on my taxes for 14 years under a verbal agreement with her mother. The agreement was that as long as I paid child support (I have) I get to keep the deduction. This year, on the 15th year, the mother caimed the child without telling me, costing me $1200. Do I have recourse and should I seek further legal counsel?

Sincerely,

Johnathon
jjohnson13

LdiJ

jjohnson13 said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon.

Hello, I have claimed my daughter on my taxes for 14 years under a verbal agreement with her mother. The agreement was that as long as I paid child support (I have) I get to keep the deduction. This year, on the 15th year, the mother caimed the child without telling me, costing me $1200. Do I have recourse and should I seek further legal counsel?

Sincerely,

Johnathon
jjohnson13
If all you had was a verbal agreement....and your actual court orders are silent on the issue of the tax exemption.......and if the child primarily lives with her mother.......then you have no recourse. The regs would apply, and the regs would give the exemption to the mother.

abstract99

Do you provide over 50% support? Is it really worth your 1200 dollars? You would spend at least 1/2 of that taking her to court if you are right.

jjohnson13

Thanks

Oregon.

Thanks for the replies, this website is really a great thing, you all should be proud that you are helping people out.

It could be argued whether or not I supply 50% of support, probably not since I am paying $503 per month single child support.

And, your are right, it probably is not worth going after the $1200, but as you probably know it is very frustrating when your ex goes after every penny they can. This child lived with me for two years, I asked for nothing and received no support, the day the child moved back in with mom she sued for higher support ($267 to $503). I should consider myself lucky I had the deduction for so long and keep my pants on in the future, I have learned that lesson!

Cheers.

Johnathon :rolleyes:

ablessin

jjohnson13 said:
Oregon.

Thanks for the replies, this website is really a great thing, you all should be proud that you are helping people out.

It could be argued whether or not I supply 50% of support, probably not since I am paying $503 per month single child support.

And, your are right, it probably is not worth going after the $1200, but as you probably know it is very frustrating when your ex goes after every penny they can. This child lived with me for two years, I asked for nothing and received no support, the day the child moved back in with mom she sued for higher support ($267 to $503). I should consider myself lucky I had the deduction for so long and keep my pants on in the future, I have learned that lesson!

Cheers.

Johnathon :rolleyes:

Child lived with you for 2 years and you paid support to the ex for a kid not even living there?? Wow, you're generous.

This crap just boils my blood

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">