• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennjenn780

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband and I are trying to adopt my little sister's baby. She is 6mo pregnant right now, we are pretty sure that the bf will sign over rights and I know she will, is there anyway that we can do our own adoption without having to get an attorney?

nextwife

DO NOT skimp on legal services! This is one legal matter that you absolutely, positively want done RIGHT the first time.

Each state has a certain process that must be met EXACTLY or the adoption can be contested and reversed even if it should be initially granted.

Do not attempt this yourself, especially since you are not sure if bio dad will give his consent. I would ask him first to see what your chances are of this being uncontested.

Hire an experienced adoption attorney in your town that also has experience with contested adoptions. If the adoption should be contested it could easily cost you $20,000-$40,000 in legal fees. And bio dad will get a free attorney to defend himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">