• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult son in home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotmamma

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

My son is soon to be 19 and is graduating from H.S. soon. I have asked him to find another place to live upon graduation. If he does not do so, do I have any legal right to have him removed from my home? Does he have any right to stay here? He is not paying rent.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hotmamma said:

My son is soon to be 19 and is graduating from H.S. soon. I have asked him to find another place to live upon graduation. If he does not do so, do I have any legal right to have him removed from my home? Does he have any right to stay here? He is not paying rent.

My response:

He has the legal right to stay in your home until age 37. Then he must leave.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

hotmamma said:

Most parents don't charge their children rent while they are still responsible for them and in high school.

If you are having problems with your teenage son, welcome to the world.

It is time to sit down and discuss his future and the rules once he graduates HS.

Perhaps a requirement to get a job and pay rent until he is ready to get out on his own and if not, begin eviction as per the landlord tennant laws of your state.

hotmamma

I didn't post the question for advice on how to be a mother. I asked for legal advice. Do you have any or do you spend time here so that you can judge others?

HomeGuru

hotmamma said:
I didn't post the question for advice on how to be a mother. I asked for legal advice. Do you have any or do you spend time here so that you can judge others?

**A: throw all his stuff outside, change the locks and call the police to report trespassing if he steps one foot on the property.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">