• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwest1780

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

My brother and sister are co-owners of some land. My brother now wants total ownership and is going to get a lawyer and take my sister to court.
Legally, can he take her to court and have her name removed from the deed?
If so, what should she do? She can't afford her own lawyer. help!

HomeGuru

jwest1780 said:

My brother and sister are co-owners of some land. My brother now wants total ownership and is going to get a lawyer and take my sister to court.

**A: search partition.

John Se

what's the land worth?

If she cant afford to defend her position in the land then it must not be worth anything. so then who cares. what exactly would you be sued for? Having a name removed is a remedy, not a complaint or tort

jwest1780

John Se said:
If she cant afford to defend her position in the land then it must not be worth anything. so then who cares. what exactly would you be sued for? Having a name removed is a remedy, not a complaint or tort
This land is worth more to my sister than you could ever know, but everybody's not financially able to walk into a lawyers office, write a big fat check, and say I want you to defend. So, from now on if your not gonna give any helpful advice please don't respond.

HomeGuru

jwest1780 said:
This land is worth more to my sister than you could ever know, but everybody's not financially able to walk into a lawyers office, write a big fat check, and say I want you to defend. So, from now on if your not gonna give any helpful advice please don't respond.
**A: then have her write a small skinny check. Ever hear of negotiating a payment plan?

S

seniorjudge

jwest1780 said:

Q: Legally, can he take her to court and have her name removed from the deed?

A: Yes. The land will be sold at the courthouse steps and if there is any dough leftover at the end of the sale, bro and sis will split it.

Q: If so, what should she do?

A: Get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">