• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for my parent's timeshare if I've paid maintenance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cirion

What is the name of your state? New York

My father was suckered into buying a timeshare many years ago in Florida. He and my mother moved to New Jersey when they retired, and he has since passed away. My mother is in her 80's, and since my name is the same as my father's, I told her i would make the annual maintenance payments for her. I've been doing this for 7-8 years, and actually used the timeshare once.

I've grown tired of throwing $600 a year away. If I cease to pay the maintainence, will this somehow affect "my" credit, since I've been the one sending the payments? At my mother's age, bad credit is really not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

Cirion said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My father was suckered into buying a timeshare many years ago in Florida. He and my mother moved to New Jersey when they retired, and he has since passed away. My mother is in her 80's, and since my name is the same as my father's, I told her i would make the annual maintenance payments for her. I've been doing this for 7-8 years, and actually used the timeshare once.

I've grown tired of throwing $600 a year away. If I cease to pay the maintainence, will this somehow affect "my" credit, since I've been the one sending the payments? At my mother's age, bad credit is really not an issue.

Thanks in advance.
**A: since you are not on title it would not affect your credit provided you have not "assumed" ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">