• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

home fire w/ questionable settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unsure insured

What is the name of your state?mo
I have had a home damaged by fire. The fire was put out fairly quickly but suffers major heat and smoke damage. According to the insurance company the home suffers roughly 51,000$ worth of damage. I am insured for $70,000. My problem is the insurance company wants me to fix my existing home and I do not want to. It is an 11 year old doublewide and when the fire investigator came they were unable to determine the exact cause of the fire. I have had more than one person/contractor look at the home and tell me not to rebuild. My mortgage holder says the same thing. they do not want me to rebuild the existing home because it has virtually no resale value. Do I, as the homeowner have any rights? Do I have to accept the settlement the insurance company is offering me?

S

seniorjudge

unsure insured said:
What is the name of your state?mo
I have had a home damaged by fire. The fire was put out fairly quickly but suffers major heat and smoke damage. According to the insurance company the home suffers roughly 51,000$ worth of damage. I am insured for $70,000. My problem is the insurance company wants me to fix my existing home and I do not want to. It is an 11 year old doublewide and when the fire investigator came they were unable to determine the exact cause of the fire. I have had more than one person/contractor look at the home and tell me not to rebuild. My mortgage holder says the same thing. they do not want me to rebuild the existing home because it has virtually no resale value. Do I, as the homeowner have any rights? Do I have to accept the settlement the insurance company is offering me?
Q: Do I have to accept the settlement the insurance company is offering me?

A: No; you can take nothing if you want to.

claimlaw

Why does the insurer care whether you rebuild? Is the $51K ACV or RCV? What is your mortgage balance? Who is holding the $51K now? What is the cost to rebuild vs. replace? Where did you find a $51K doublewide? Why does my son always leave the door open?

Claimlaw

S

seniorjudge

claimlaw said:
...Why does my son always leave the door open?....
I sent my people over to check this out: it's genetic.

You should be ashamed of yourself....

S

seniorjudge

claimlaw said:
Thank you. Did they learn anything else that I should be aware of?

Claimlaw
Yes.

They found the magic words to make people stop talking bad about other people.

I am not allowed to reveal these online...sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">