• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad investment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burntorange

I invested in an S corporation in Texas in 1998. It seemed like a good idea at the time. The company never made money, in fact it lost money every year. For the last 2 years I did not receive a tax statement for it. So I just assumed that it dissolved. Did not check to be sure though.

Am I liable as a stock holder (1 of about 60) for debts or lawsuits that might be filed against this S corporation now? Is there something that I should do at this time to protect me?

S

seniorjudge

burntorange said:
I invested in an S corporation in Texas in 1998. It seemed like a good idea at the time. The company never made money, in fact it lost money every year. For the last 2 years I did not receive a tax statement for it. So I just assumed that it dissolved. Did not check to be sure though.

Am I liable as a stock holder (1 of about 60) for debts or lawsuits that might be filed against this S corporation now? Is there something that I should do at this time to protect me?
Start your research by finding out if the corporation is still in existence:

http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/Index.html

TSRcue

burntorange said:

There is a dissolution procedure. Check this link from the Sec. of state.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/BA/content/htm/ba.006.00.000000.00.htm#6.04.00

Best regards. . .

as a stockholder, you're only liable for what you put in financially. that's if the stocks are real and the corporation is really a corporation. if yo ulose the money, then that's all you'll lose. did you go to mccomb's business school at UT? sure hope not

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">