• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we sell one of our lots

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artart

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

The parcel our house sits on is described in our deed as Lot 32, 33, 34 and 35 of Grossmont Heights, Map 232, County of San Diego, State of California. (I am using fictitious numbers because I do not have the deed in front of me.)

From what I understand from the county planning dept. as long as the lot is shown on an approved subdivision map it is a legal lot for building purposes.

The question is can we sell one of the lots? If so, do we record a deed with that lot separately and then sell it or just wait and let escrow do it? Part of the equation here is whether or not the deed will be insurable for title insurance purposes.

Thanks,

Art

S

seniorjudge

artart said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

The parcel our house sits on is described in our deed as Lot 32, 33, 34 and 35 of Grossmont Heights, Map 232, County of San Diego, State of California. (I am using fictitious numbers because I do not have the deed in front of me.)

From what I understand from the county planning dept. as long as the lot is shown on an approved subdivision map it is a legal lot for building purposes.

The question is can we sell one of the lots? If so, do we record a deed with that lot separately and then sell it or just wait and let escrow do it? Part of the equation here is whether or not the deed will be insurable for title insurance purposes.

Thanks,

Art

Art, CA has exceptionally stringent regulations concerning the taxation of conveyed land. You need a real estate lawyer who is also a tax professional to help guide you through this.

Don't understand anything.

Before you go hire that lawyer, get the regulations from your county in writing.

nextwife

Also of importance is where the house sits and if the residence will still meet the required setbacks without the additional lot. When a party owns all the land, they sometimes don't care about the individuAL lot setbacks and build the structure encroaching. You should get a current survey in case your driveway entrance, for example, sits upon the lot you'd be selling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">