• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wal-mart shop lifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

law40177

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arkansas

i need to know what all can happen to me im a 19 year old male this is my first time offense i was caught shop lifting in wal-mart. what i stole was a bottle of diet pills i have always been a llittle heavy and i saw these new pills and they looked real interesting. so i opend the bottle and put them into my pocket and proceded to finish my shopping i dont know why i just stole them i could of payed for them but i guess really i was just being plain stupid becasue i didnt want to pay for somthing if it didnt work. well they stopped me after i purchased my things and the guy was real nice he asked to to follow him i did we went to the back room wear i sighned many different types of papers and waited for the police to come the police officer took me to the sherif department and issued me a ticket to appear in court but they also fingerprinted me and everything. so i was wondering what are my options when i go to court i know i will have to pay a civial payment and the cost of the pills that were $29 but if they say probation is their a way i can keep off of prbation and do somthing else instead and is their a way to get this off of my record becasue what i did was just plain stupid on my part but i dont want it to affect my future becasue this is my first offense. someone please help

They may have a shoplifting diversion program..... Hopefully this is a wake up call.

I got caught up myself when I was 18, I was being stupid as well....and I learned my lesson and learned it VERY good. In my case it was my 1st time(and last) criminal offense. I was arrested, paid $120 bond, no ticket(I cannot remember why not), when I went to my court date, they gave me the option to go to a shoplifting diversion program. I chose to do that. After the program I became eligible to get the charge expunged(sp?), so I did that as well. I haven't stolen anything ever since. The embarrassment alone was enough to get me to stop....it's not worth your whole future and career for a few measly, unnecessary, material items.

P.S You may want to speak to a dietician about other options besides pills......some of those pills on the market are harmful.

S

seniorjudge

law40177 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arkansas

i need to know what all can happen to me im a 19 year old male this is my first time offense i was caught shop lifting in wal-mart. what i stole was a bottle of diet pills i have always been a llittle heavy and i saw these new pills and they looked real interesting. so i opend the bottle and put them into my pocket and proceded to finish my shopping i dont know why i just stole them i could of payed for them but i guess really i was just being plain stupid becasue i didnt want to pay for somthing if it didnt work. well they stopped me after i purchased my things and the guy was real nice he asked to to follow him i did we went to the back room wear i sighned many different types of papers and waited for the police to come the police officer took me to the sherif department and issued me a ticket to appear in court but they also fingerprinted me and everything. so i was wondering what are my options when i go to court i know i will have to pay a civial payment and the cost of the pills that were $29 but if they say probation is their a way i can keep off of prbation and do somthing else instead and is their a way to get this off of my record becasue what i did was just plain stupid on my part but i dont want it to affect my future becasue this is my first offense. someone please help

Ask the nice lady when you go to court who you talk to about diversion.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

seniorjudge said:
Ask the nice lady when you go to court who you talk to about diversion.

My response:

And, while he's at it, maybe there's a "diversion program" for being an Arkansas Dufus Hillbilly. That's worse!!

Here's a fashion tip - -

Don't wear your one strap over-the-shoulder bib overalls to court. Also, wear shoes.

IAAL

Last edited:
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

And, while he's at it, maybe there's a "diversion program" for being an Arkansas Dufus Hillbilly. That's worse!!

Here's a fashion tip - -

Don't wear your one strap over-the-shoulder bib overalls to court. Also, wear shoes.

IAAL
Oh....and I suppose it's okay to wear the straw hat!!!!

j/k to the OP

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jpritchett81 said:
Oh....and I supposed it's okay to wear the straw hat!!!!

j/k to the OP

My response:

Well . . . . . . yeah. The OP did say he was from Arkansas. So, that straw hat is a fashionable, acceptable, fashion statement.

IAAL

zippysgoddess

Leave your shotgun, fishing rod, creel and all other hillbilly accountrements at home!

If you really want a dapper look, add a nice feather to your straw hat, I have heard ones from pheasants look really nice.

S

seniorjudge

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">