• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting Boyfriend's daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetcara

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana
Good morning! My name is Carol and I am a deployed U.S. soldier in Afghanistan. I will be home in two months and I want to start adopting my boyfriend's six year old daughter. We been raising her for the past five years and I am the only mother she knows. The bioligical mother do not have any parental rights over the child. My boyfriend agree for me to adopt her so I will have legal rights over her. I don't want to take away my boyfriends parental rights over the child. What I'm saying is that I just want to have some legal right when it comes to her. I need advice on how to go about doing this. What kind of paperworks I need to do? What is my first step? Need advice and help! Thank you!

tigger22472

It won't happen in Indiana. You must be married to the father in this state for a period of one year. You say the mother does not have parental rights. Are you sure of this? Or does he just have sole custody and she have no visitation... there is a difference. Did the state take her rights away or did they again, just not grant her visitation or whatever? At any rate again, you must be married for a period of one year and even then depending on the situation with bio-mom she will more then likely have to be contacted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">