• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I changed my name--can I change it on my deed now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

purple2

What is the name of your state?NY
I bought property in my maiden name and would like to change the name on the deed to my married name. Is this normally possible?

nextwife

It is not necessary. When you eventually sell or refi, you simply advise the title company that title is vested in, say, Mary Smith, formerly known as Mary Jones. The title company is provided some evidence of the name change and that's all that is needed.

purple2

I am aware it is not necessary for ownership purposes. I still strongly desire to change my name on the deed because I do not want my maiden name appearing on public records. I have a restraining order against an unstable former employee. The order expires soon. She does not know my married name. If I don't change the deed now, she will be able to find me easily by going to the clerk's office and reading the deed. I definitely want to change it. Since it is not normal to do so, does anyone know if it's possible?

S

seniorjudge

purple2 said:
I am aware it is not necessary for ownership purposes. I still strongly desire to change my name on the deed because I do not want my maiden name appearing on public records. I have a restraining order against an unstable former employee. The order expires soon. She does not know my married name. If I don't change the deed now, she will be able to find me easily by going to the clerk's office and reading the deed. I definitely want to change it. Since it is not normal to do so, does anyone know if it's possible?
Go to a lawyer and have new deed drawn up.

The old and new names will always appear on the public record until doomsday.

Thus, the new deed will do nothing to hide your identity from a stalker.

nextwife

Seniorjudge is correct. The county property records REQUIRE that all transfers in and out of ownership remain. These are public records.

StalkerStopper

Address Confidentiality

Hi Purple,

Does your state have an Address Confidentiality Program? If so, I suggest you enroll immediately. Doing so can help you avoid listing a public address and/or name information.

Feel free to email me if you'd like additional information. Unfortunately I've *been there* with stalkers... Ugh.

Good luck.

Shay-Pari'e

StalkerStopper said:
Hi Purple,

Does your state have an Address Confidentiality Program? If so, I suggest you enroll immediately. Doing so can help you avoid listing a public address and/or name information.

Feel free to email me if you'd like additional information. Unfortunately I've *been there* with stalkers... Ugh.

Good luck.
This is an old thread, and the ACP program does not apply to names on PUBLIC record.

The program allows its participants to use the ACP substitute address whenever they obtain state and local services (a driver's license, food stamps, Medicaid, car registration etc.). Participants can also use the address to have other first class mail (with the exception of packages) forwarded to them from the substitute address to their actual, confidential, location.
The program will also allow participants, who are otherwise eligible to vote, to apply to vote as an absentee voter. Additionally, neither the participant's name or address shall appear on any list of registered voters made available to the public.

Eligibility Guidelines
The ACP is intended to help victims who have permanently left abusive situations and are living in a location unknown to their abuser. This means that the victim should have recently moved or is planning on moving in the near future. Additionally, the victim should not have created any local or state records using the new address they wish to keep confidential. ACP services are not retroactive and cannot provide confidentiality or protection if records have already been created with the new address.

nextwife

Right, the deed conveying the property to the former name MUST continue to be of record, so that record will always be there, regardless of any future deeds to "NOW KNOWN AS" monikers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">