• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denial Transfer of Firearm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scorpio1

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I am 31 now but when I was 18 I was using methaphetamines and my brother called the police for my own good. They took me to a state mental hospital for observation and they decided I needed 14 days detention. I complied with all of the terms and they released me. I also did 30 days out patient drug treatment program and successfully completed it . I have been clean and sober ever since. Last year (2004) I purchased 2 rifles or long guns they call them. Recently I pawned them. When I went to pay and get them out they said I was denied based on federally prohibitive criteria. I initiated the appeal to get my rights back. I have a very clean record other than that -- no felonies, no drug charges, no violent crimes, nothing except that short period of time when I was in the hospital for 14 days. The law states that if you were adjudicated a mental defective person, or have been committed to a mental institution you will be denied. Does the 2 weeks I was in treatment mean I was committed? What can I do? Do I have to get an attorney and is there any hope? Any suggestions?

S

seniorjudge

scorpio1 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

I am 31 now but when I was 18 I was using methaphetamines and my brother called the police for my own good. They took me to a state mental hospital for observation and they decided I needed 14 days detention. I complied with all of the terms and they released me. I also did 30 days out patient drug treatment program and successfully completed it . I have been clean and sober ever since. Last year (2004) I purchased 2 rifles or long guns they call them. Recently I pawned them. When I went to pay and get them out they said I was denied based on federally prohibitive criteria. I initiated the appeal to get my rights back. I have a very clean record other than that -- no felonies, no drug charges, no violent crimes, nothing except that short period of time when I was in the hospital for 14 days. The law states that if you were adjudicated a mental defective person, or have been committed to a mental institution you will be denied. Does the 2 weeks I was in treatment mean I was committed? What can I do? Do I have to get an attorney and is there any hope? Any suggestions?
Q: Does the 2 weeks I was in treatment mean I was committed?

A: Yes.

Contact the NRA; ask them to recommend an attorney for you.

scorpio1

How did I purchase them in the first place then?

Why was I allowed to buy the guns in the first place?

Isn't there anything I can do? Also the pawn shop kept my money and my firearms? This doesnt' seem right.

Last edited:

scorpio1

Relief from Disabilities Act

i found some info on this, do i need an attorney, anyone out there tried to restore their rights in washington state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">