• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need justice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkalkman

What is the name of your state?:mad: What is the name of your state? South Dakota
Hello, my name is Jamie and about a month ago on April 10th 2005 I was away for the weekend and my house was broke into and everything of value was taken from me. I called the police immediately and when they came over they just kind of looked around and then asked me who I all told that I was leaving town for the weekend. I told them that there was someone that had came to my mind that I had not seen in a few years that I used to work with and I had told her during small talk. This girl and her boyfriend are both known drug users and sellers in town. When I told the police her name there eyes lit up and said that she is a suspect in another break in just east of town. That night they found her and pulled her over and called me when they had her pulled over. They had found a DVD player (which I had been missing) in her car and a lot of other stuff. Because I was unable to name all of the tags on the clothing and the serial numbers off of the electronics they had to let her go because they could only detain her for 30minutes. I have no doubt in my mind that this is the woman who robbed me. There were full finger prints on my 52' TV that she tried to take but failed, and know one would take finger prints. Now this women is living not too far from me enjoying her freedom and selling drugs from the comfort of her home. How do I get justice for what has been done? At has been 4weeks and no one has even contacted me. Please help I am at my wits end.

CdwJava

You can sue her for the items ... IF you can prove that items in her possession are yours.

The problem with generic items like DVD players and the like is that it is not unreasonable for someone to have one identical to yours. Without some unique identifier (serial numbers, stickers, engraved notes or names, etc.) it is next to impossible to prove. The officers did what they could at the scene of their stop, but they can't just arrest her because she MIGHT have your DVD player.

Now, if all the items she had in her possession "coincidentally" matched the property you just had stolen, then I would say there was enough to make an arrest. But then, I wasn't there so I don't know what the officers found or believed at the time.

Have you tried to talk to someone involved in the case or the original report?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">