• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Father wants to adopt 7 year old son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KSD53801

What is the name of your state? GA

The step father of my son wants to adopt him. The Mother has asked my wife if I would like to terminate my paternal rights. Given that I have not seen this child since he was 11 months old, I am ok with it. My son, doesn't know me as his father. I have a small amount of back support that I owe, and am willing to pay it even after my rights are terminated. The Bio mother, is pushing this on me and says it's something I have to do. I don't know what steps I need to take to get it done. And she's not really helping, but has given her consent that her husband wants to adopt the child.

Thanks

tigger22472

They would have to be the ones to file for it, you can't do it. Just tell her to do the paperwork and you will sign it. Just be very certain this is something that you want. You don't want there to be regrets later.

KSD53801

I am sure that I want to do this. The mother says that the adoption will not take place immediatly b/c they can't afford the fess right now. But she wants my rights dropped ASAP, so that they can proceed with the adoption when they are financially able. Can I sign over rights, even if the adoption doesn't take place immediatly following?

tigger22472

No, you can not just sever your rights... It is done all in one process. Tell her there are no extra time or fees for this... It takes the same time wether or not you do it now or later. She will more then likely have to have a home study done.. and it's a matter of waiting for the welfare department to fit that in as well as the time to right their report and then get a court hearing. That's what takes the time, not waiting on your consent.

KSD53801

So, the termination of my rights has to take place at the time of adoption. She is aware that there are no extra fees to terminate rights, but she wants my son's last name changed before the adoption takes place.

nextwife

MANY persons have been burned in this proocess by NOT providing trhe termination simultaneously with the adoption. I strongly recommend having your own legal representation at the adoption hearing and ONLY providing the TPR agreement when the adoption actually happens. Otherwise, you could stop paying support and discover years later that stepdad never actually adopted and now you have a $50,000 arrearage to pay off.

I'm an adoptive parent myself. I would not expect to have had the right to give my child my name UNTIL I LEGALLY became their parent. If stepdad wants the right to give this child his name, he should also assume the responsibility. That is what adoptive parents do. Name and parentage should occur together.

tigger22472

I totally agree with Nextwife. Giving up rights does not always stop support and as she said many get burned by thinking differently. If she wants this done then she needs to come up with the money to do this. There is not going to be that much difference in paying for the court fees for the name change and TPR as there are for the adoption so IMO she's just trying to take the easy way out. Her pressure on you means nothing because it is up to her to file!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">