• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gadgetman

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gadgetman

Partnership agreement/out of luck?

What is the name of your state?Washington(Eastern)

My friend came to me with a business idea which entailed us to be partners in a CO2 blasting company. I put $2,000 into the company and he put $1600. We were waiting for our income to come in before we could afford an attorney to write up a partnership agreement. Well, after the first job, this partner flips out and stated that he didn't trust me and that I would eventually screw him so he didn't want to be partners anymore. He stated he would find the $2000 to buy me out. He never did. His wife works with my wife at Department of Social and Health Services. His wife told my wife that they had permanently closed the company, so we felt that they didn't owe us the money since they were not continuing the business. Come to find out through public record from Labor and Industries that they did close our name off of the business and opened their own business for the same exact thing. I called this partner and told him that I wanted one of the co2 blasting guns and he stated he had given it away because he didn't want to compete with me. I asked him if he was still going to run the business and he stated that he was. I told him that he owed me money then and he stated to get a lawyer. In the beginning of this partnership, we had shaken hands under the assumption that no one would be screwed. There is also an RCW that I remember reading that protects partnerships that do not have a legal contract. My question is, do I have a leg to stand on if I do try to sue him for this amount plus half of the equipment? Or am I just out of luck?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">