• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CBStrat

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I bartended - without pay - as a favor for a friend, who also owns the bar - on Saturday. It is a local neighborhood bar, and I had to call the owner's brother to come and change a keg that had expired - per the owner's instructions. The door to the basement is a trap door in the floor behind the bar. He was having trouble hooking up the new keg and had to make several trips up and down. On one trip - the second I think, he left the door open and I was serving a customer, turned around and fell right down - approximately 7 feet into the basement. I was not seriosly injured, just some bumps and bruises. However, there seems to be something more serious wrong with my ankle - as the swelling will not go down no matter how much ice I use. I am hoping to see my doctor today, something I had hoped not to have to do.

My question is - even though my injuries are not serious is he responsible for my medical charges? He has yet to contact me since he returned from his trip Sunday night to check on my condition so I figured I should get all my ducks in a row before I proceed.

CBStrat

Is there anyone who can offer me some advice on whether he will be liable for my medical bills? I do not want to sue him for any award amount - just the cost of my medical bills. But he is a friend so I do not want to pursue that avenue if I do not have the right to do so?

Please help!

shortbus

Why don't you say "Hey Friend. I was injured while helping out at your bar. Would you be willing to kick in something to the medical bill?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">