• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of stealing money from property I manage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kknight

What is the name of your state? NC/SC
I live in South Carolina. I was employed as property manager of an apartment complex in Charlotte, NC. I recently found another job and left the position. There is now an investigation in process. Seems there are tenants that paid rent with blank money orders but the payments were never posted. These tenants have the receipts for the money orders (th stubs)but the money orders were filled out to someone other than the apartment complex and cashed or deposited into a bank account. Is this embezzlement, larceny, breach of trust or what? Is it a misdemeanor or felony. I believe the total amount missing is close to $3000. Will the case go to court in NC or SC since i worked in NC but live in SC? Please respond.. I am worried sick because I am a single parent with no one around to care for my children. Also will I receive jail time or probation with restitution to be paid??? I have not been charged with anything yet as the management company is tracking the money orders. Keep in mind that the tenants never filled out the money orders. They have the detached stubs (some of which were stamped with the apartment complex's stamp) Should I contact the company and admit my guilt in hopes of a chance to pay back what I owe and avoid prosecution? Or should I wait it out to see if charges are brought against me?
My conscience tells me to admit my guilt and repent to my God but I do not want to give an admission of guilt if it may hurt my defense.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">