• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Football Injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

udonrocks

What is the name of your state? California

Fellas,

Need some serious advice here. I was injured in a football game in the spring of 2003 and had to get taken to the emergency room to receive 12 stitches to close up my split-open chin. In addition, I had two teeth that were cracked as a result of an elbow to my chin during the game. The hit I received caused me to suffer these injuries and in no way were the injuries caused by, say, a tackle that led to my dislocating a shoulder. The guy basically threw a dirty hit to my face and caused me to assume a ~$2000 medical bill. It took me a long time to track down the guy, but he no longer lives in California...he moved to Nevada :mad: . Does anyone know if I still have a case against him especially after this long period of time? I am still within my legal limits of filing a lawsuit, but do I have a good case against him? I have plenty of witnesses who are willing to testify on my behalf, but is the assumed risk of playing tackle football have too much precedence over my obvious flagrant injury? Please help me out with this one. Thanks

aL

shortbus

With sports, participants assume the risks that are reasonably apparent from observing the game. Aside from the fact the statute of limitations has probably already run (2 yrs many places) a knock on the chin is the kind of injury a court would probably say is reasonably possible in football.

OK, it was a dirty hit, but you can't really prove that.

stephenk

was this a game with helmets, pads, etc? If no, was it full contact tackle football?

Last edited:

udonrocks

The game was tackle, but no pads/gear. It was supposed to be a friendly game with tackling, but not to the point where people got sent to the ER. If this had been a separated shoulder, no biggie. But the fact that I was hit with an elbow meant that the guy was out intentionally to hurt people, as several other players got injuries (albeit less serious) from the same guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">