• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Studie requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiffanytdi

What is the name of your state? TX

I am the biological mother of my son. My husband is going to adopt my son from a previous relationship. We have a home study this weekend. I'm not understanding why our social worker has to interview me and look into my background since I am his bio-mother. I understand her having to do all of that on my husband.
She is coming to our home in a few days. A friend of mine had a social study done and she said that the lady that did hers, went through her dresser drawers and her closets. I don't understand the need for that, is that what they are supposed to do?
I just want to know what they are supposed to do and not supposed to do.
Thanks
Tiffany

tigger22472

You're friends experience seems to be abnormal. I have never heard of that before.

During our home study the lady came in, sent the children in another room while she asked us questions about the house (how many bedrooms, baths.. etc) and then questions about how long my husband and I had been together and why he wanted to adopt. She then talked to the kids for a few minutes and that was it. She didn't look in anything. In fact, I had paid for this a long time prior to her coming and had called 3 times to see when she was coming without getting a return call because we were doing some upgrading on the inside of the house. We proceeded to go ahead and start and then of course she called so my house wasn't in the best shape but she told us she didn't care. It was a very in and out process.

tiffanytdi

home study

The lady told us that she was going to come out and look around the house for safety hazards, which i understand that. I would have a problem if she started going through our personal things. I will definitley have to say something.
She is supposed to observe us and then take our son in his room to talk to him alone. He's 3, so I don't know what she is really going to talk to him about?

Also, what do you think about her need to "research" me? I'm his mother, I've always had full custody of him, she's treating me as if I were adopting him too.

tigger22472

They did the same thing here in Indiana. I always had custody of my kids and they still did a background check and what not on me... I had nothing to hide so it was no big deal but I see your point.. it's better for precautionary measures anyways.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">