• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State v/s Federal record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiff101

What is the name of your state?SC
Hi, in December 2000, I was charged with mail fraud. I plead guilty. I was advised it would be a felony. Well, I ran a state wide back ground check and it was not on my record. So, what I ned to know is why was it not on the state record? Do I need to run a federal backgorund check or what?

Last edited:

EdKam

State and Federal records are not the same. Mail fraud is a Federal charge, not a state charge. A Federal warrant will not show on a State data base, such as the one you have used. It will show if a State (Cop) local cop runs a check for national warrants. It will likely not show under most employment search records. This would include both a case that has been to trial (assuming you went) and a case that was still pending. (Open warrant)
It sounds as if you never went to trial. I am assuming you didn't. Federal warrants, and records are available to you under the "Freedom of information act", although I do not know if you personally can call a Federal Court and ask them specific questions and get correct answers. However, you can mail the US Marshal service under the Freedom of information act, and they will give you whatever information you ask for. If you require help in how to do this let me know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">