• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stuck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ADADINO

What is the name of your state?MASSACHUSETTS. I HAD A TREE FALL ON MY HOUSE, WELL ACTUALLY INTO MY HOUSE AND THERE WAS WATER DAMAGE TO MY SHEET ROCK AND IN MY ATTIC.THE IDEPENDANT ADJUSTER TOLD ME TO GET THE TREE REMOVED WITH A CRANE( IN THE MIDDLE OF A SNOW STORM WITH 9 INCHES OF SNOW)LONG STORY SHORT THE BILL WAS 6150.00 AND THE ADJUSTER SAID THEY WILL ONLY PAY 500.00 OF THE BILL.SO I CALLED MY AGENT AND THEY SAID IF THE TREE WAS INSIDE OR ON THE HOUSE THEY WOULD ABSOLUTELY COVER THE TREE BILL. WELL 3 MONTHS LATER AND I STILL HAVENT GOT A CHECK TO PAY THE TREE GUY AND NOW HE IS THREATENING TO TKE ME TO COURT.I ALSO JUST GOT A LOW BALL ESTIMATE FROM THE ADJUSTER TO REPAIR MY HOUSE. THIS IS 3 MONTHS IN AND ONLY THE 1ST ESTIMATE. IS THERE ANYWAY TO STOP THEM FROM DRAGGING THERE FEET.PLEASE DONT SAY HIRE A PUBLIC ADJUSTER, I DID THAT AND HE SEEMS TO BE MORE FRIENDLY WITH THE INSURANCE ADJUSTER THEN HE IS WITH ME. IM IN THE DARK AND THIS GUY HAS NO ANSWERS FOR ME.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

claimlaw

What is your policy type? Please specify HO-xyz including the date.

How much damage are we talking about?

While there are few very good public adjusters, the defect rate is somewhat equivalent to that of lawyers. 5-7% are competent and restrict their counsel to the area of their competence. The balance will take anything with a heartbeat and a checkbook. Those that can't do either will run for office.

claimlaw

I

itsacatsworld

Also if its an interstate company the feds will be interested, didnt used to but now it looks good on the resume.

Unarmed opponent

Once again, itsacatsworld has posted a completely irrelevant comment. Congratulations, CAT... you've posted 315 times in the last month, and contributed absolutely nothing. Tow business must be slow.

ADADINO - Did the adjuster for your insurance carrier tell you to hire a crane to remove the tree, or did the adjuster you hired yourself tell you to do it? If the carrier's adjuster authorized the expense prior to you calling the crane, that's one thing. If you called the crane on the say-so of the independent guy, without running it by your carrier first, that's another.

ADADINO

Massachusetts : My Insurance Policy Is Ho003 10. Or Ho-3. The Insurance Companies Adjuster Told Me To Remove It With A Crane To Prevent Further Damage. I Did Not Hire A Public Adjuster Until A Month Went By And Did Not Receive Ant Phone Calls Except From The Tree Guy Looking For His Money.

claimlaw

The standard ISO HO-3 provides coverage for removal of a tree up to $500 or $1000 dependednt upon the policy EXCEPT where the tree hits your insured property. Whether your fence, garage, pool or house, the cost of removing the tree, the stump and debris from the structure is covered by the debris removal coverage which is found in Section 1. Additional Coverages.

TESTEDMONKEY is correct on both points.

Moreover, you have an obligation to protect the property from further damage. This means taking all reasonable measures to mitigate further loss to yourself and the insurer. Obviously a reasonable person may think it requires a crane. Another reasonable person such as the adjuster may think different but as long as you document everything and use a competent contractor that has YOUR interests in mind not the insurer AND who can also hold his/her own in a dispute you should be fine. NOT a fire and water restoration contractor - they are supremely beholden to the insurer - not you.

As for the Public Adjuster - wow. That is not a good reason for hiring a Public Adjuster. I would loose them quickly and be sure to contact the Commisioner of Insurance with a complaint. I deal with Public Adjusters, defense counsel and staff and independent adjusters daily. Some highly competent other hanging on by their teeth. It sounds like you may have been SOLD by an opportunist. If they don't go away quietly. Let us know. There are ways.....

Otherwise, what you have described isn't difficult if this is your only problem. Getting that bill paid would be a 1.5 minute call to the proper person.

Establishing the scope of structural loss will be a little troublesome but not overly problematic for a contractor with strong communication skills.

Claimlaw

ADADINO

Adadino

I Would Love To Get Rid Of My Public Adjuster. He Is Useless! The Reason I Hired Him Is Because The Claim Was At A Stall And I Needed Some Way To Speed It Up. I Asked Around And The People I Talked To Suggested A Public Adjuster. The Insurance Adjuster Sent Out An Engineer 3 Months Ago And Wont Give Me A Copy Of The Report To Fix The House And Now The Only Estimate I Have Is From Them.i Had A Licensed Contractor Look At It And He Said He Would Need To See The Engineers Report To Give Me An Accurate Estimate. My House Is Racked 1/4 Inch Out And 4 Feet Down 3/8 Of And Inch Out.i Have A Hole In My Roof And In The Side Of My House. My Vinyl Siding Is Destroyed And I Have A Huge Dip In My Kitchen Floor. Just The Other Day My Private Adjuster Called And Said They Had An Estimate Of 24000 From The Water And Restoration Contractor The Ins Co Sent Out. My Contractor Had A Rough Estimate Of 35000 Or More. What Bothers Me Is Im In The Dark I Call My Adjuster Almost Every Day And He Never Has Any Answers Or Ever Gets Back To Me With Any. I Wrote A Letter To My Insurance Company And They Said They Cant Talk To Me Now That I Have A Public Adjuster. Now 3 Months Later There Is Mold Where The Water Is Inside My Walls The Mold Is Growing Through. So My Adjuster Is Sending Out The Same Company That Gave My Insurance Company The Estimate To Repair My House, To Clean Off Mold ,that Is Going To Be Getting Ripped Out Anyway When The Work Gets Done. And Then I Will Have To Pay Him 10% Of My Settlement Where Im The One Finding All The Problems An Doing All The Leg Work.

claimlaw

How to unload a bad Public Adjuster

ADADINO said:
I Would Love To Get Rid Of My Public Adjuster....And Then I Will Have To Pay Him 10% Of My Settlement.....
If you want to Private Message me I am willing to provide you some brief insights on eliminating the PA in a low impact manner - Gratis.

Claimlaw

Gen_xer1983

If you want to Private Message me I am willing to provide you some brief insights on eliminating the PA in a low impact manner - Gratis.

Claimlaw... I too am stuck with a Public Adjuster who is now trying to get us to sign a mutual release. Can I pm you for the helpful info. as well? :eek:

Thank You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">