• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Biological father just showed up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zagollis

What is the name of your state?

New York

My cousin Karina (35) died on 04/23/05, leaving a daughter, Stephanie (7).
My cousin lived with my aunt, Martha, and they were the only family for the little girl. The father was not in the picture so my cousin decided when she was born to give her, her name and not the father's.
Karina died suddenly and did not take care of some money she had in banks, stocks, etc. and a house they purchased and were paying for.
Now, the father (biological) is around and wants to be part of Stephanie's life. I think it's appropriate to mention that he is aware ot the situation with the money left.

Questions:

Does my aunt (her grandmother) have rights over Stephanie's?
Does the father have rights over Stephanie's?
Can the father claim any rights over the money?

LdiJ

zagollis said:
What is the name of your state?

New York

My cousin Karina (35) died on 04/23/05, leaving a daughter, Stephanie (7).
My cousin lived with my aunt, Martha, and they were the only family for the little girl. The father was not in the picture so my cousin decided when she was born to give her, her name and not the father's.
Karina died suddenly and did not take care of some money she had in banks, stocks, etc. and a house they purchased and were paying for.
Now, the father (biological) is around and wants to be part of Stephanie's life. I think it's appropriate to mention that he is aware ot the situation with the money left.

Questions:

Does my aunt (her grandmother) have rights over Stephanie's?
Does the father have rights over Stephanie's?
Can the father claim any rights over the money?
Your aunt doesn't have any automatic rights, however based on the fact that dad has been awol all of the child's life, and grandma has been there, grandma may have a decent shot at custody.

Yes, the father does have rights....but he will have to establish paternity first.

If the father gets custody of Stephanie, then the father may have the right to control the money as her custodial parent. However that is something that can be fought in court. Its possible to get a judge to order that the funds be put in trust for Stephanie.

Your aunt ABSOLUTELY needs to consult with an attorney IMMEDIATELY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">