• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Added to Title w/o authorization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelgon77

What is the name of your state? Maine

My mother added myself and my siblings to the title of her land/house and took herself off, supposedly to protect it from ever being taken away if she were to die w/o debts being paid. However, she failed to ask me or my siblings if we were okay with this or if we even wanted it. I am assuming that she did this by using our social security numbers which she obviously knows. I am not sure if this was legal and would like to know if it was.

Also, my mother has not paid the taxes on the property for the last two years so myself and my siblings are responsible for the amount owed. Also, there has been a tax lien placed on my credit report. I would like to know if there is any way of removing this? I have already been to a lawyer to have my name taken off the deed/title so I won't be responsible for taxes or anything else in the future.

S

seniorjudge

kelgon77 said:
What is the name of your state? Maine

My mother added myself and my siblings to the title of her land/house and took herself off, supposedly to protect it from ever being taken away if she were to die w/o debts being paid. However, she failed to ask me or my siblings if we were okay with this or if we even wanted it. I am assuming that she did this by using our social security numbers which she obviously knows. I am not sure if this was legal and would like to know if it was.

Also, my mother has not paid the taxes on the property for the last two years so myself and my siblings are responsible for the amount owed. Also, there has been a tax lien placed on my credit report. I would like to know if there is any way of removing this? I have already been to a lawyer to have my name taken off the deed/title so I won't be responsible for taxes or anything else in the future.
I would like to know if there is any way of removing this?

Intriguing question.

Post it here:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=84

The creditor-debtor lawyers hang out over there and you will be more likely to have your question answered there.

Tell them we sent you so you do not get any nastygrams from that cranky seniorjudge about double posting!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">