• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mock Trial for School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jumper2win

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Hey everyone,
I am new here and I would love help. For school I am a lawyer for this mock trial. Now the case is as follows. A man, Joe, comes home from work, tired and disgruntled. He walks into his house and hears screaming from his wife upstairs. Without even thinking, he dashes upstairs and sees another man in the bed with his wife. Joe reacting quickly grabs a gun that happens to be on his mantle next to the door and shoots the other man. The other man, Mike, gets shot but survives. I am on the prosecution which is Mike's side. Mike is sueing Joe for attempted Murder. Now here is the tricky part. Joe and his wife Betty say that Mike raped Betty. However, that is not the case. Betty and Mike were having an affair and here are the witnesses. There is the next door neighbor who has seen Betty and Mike walk in and out of the house time and again. There is the cafe owner who has seen Betty and Mike come in more than once. There is a little more to it but I cannot think of it now...sorry.

Now my first question is, can Mike sue Joe for attempted Murder. (I hope he can or this trial will not work) If he can't then what can he sue Joe for.

Second, as the defense how can I defend Mike from this?

Lastly, any other input on this situation would be great. Thanks for everyone's help. :)

racer72

The purpose of these forums is to help folks with real legal problems, not to do homework for others. And your case, as described, would never happen, you can't sue for attempted murder. That is a criminal, not a civil charge. Try again.

BelizeBreeze

Because you were upfront about this situation I will be back to point you in the right direction (not give you the answer) when I get in the office.

BelizeBreeze

Jumper2win said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Hey everyone,
I am new here and I would love help. For school I am a lawyer for this mock trial. Now the case is as follows. A man, Joe, comes home from work, tired and disgruntled. He walks into his house and hears screaming from his wife upstairs.
That is your first problem.
Jumper2win said:
Without even thinking, he dashes upstairs and sees another man in the bed with his wife.
What, exactly, does he see?
Jumper2win said:
Joe reacting quickly grabs a gun that happens to be on his mantle next to the door and shoots the other man.
And who owned the gun, why was it in plain view?
Jumper2win said:
The other man, Mike, gets shot but survives.
Where was he shot? What happened immediately preceeding him being shot? What did Joe do or say immediately before shooting mike?
Jumper2win said:
I am on the prosecution which is Mike's side.
No it is not. The prosecution is on the People's side.
Jumper2win said:
Mike is sueing Joe for attempted Murder.
Wrong, the people of conneticut are prosecuting Joe. Mike has nothing to do with this except as a witness and the victim.
Jumper2win said:
Now here is the tricky part. Joe and his wife Betty say that Mike raped Betty.
and it is your job to disprove that.
Jumper2win said:
However, that is not the case.
Really? How do you know that?
Jumper2win said:
Betty and Mike were having an affair and here are the witnesses. There is the next door neighbor who has seen Betty and Mike walk in and out of the house time and again. There is the cafe owner who has seen Betty and Mike come in more than once.
Those witnesses are only witness to the fact that betty and mike know each other and have spent time together. NOT to the fact that Mike did not rape betty.
Jumper2win said:
Now my first question is, can Mike sue Joe for attempted Murder. (I hope he can or this trial will not work) If he can't then what can he sue Joe for.
As I told you, MIKE can't sue for anything, at least not at this point. the state is prosecuting Joe and until that trial is over Mike can't do anything.
Once your trial is over, and depending on the outcome, Mike can sue Joe for 'damages' in civil court, which has nothing to do with your situation.
Jumper2win said:
Second, as the defense how can I defend Mike from this?
Mike doesn't need defending. Joe perpetrated the crime right?
Jumper2win said:
Lastly, any other input on this situation would be great. Thanks for everyone's help. :)
here is your homework assignment.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap952.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">