• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amkerom83

My wife and I living together since she is 3 months pregnant, the biological father is somewhere in another country in asia, we have no contact on him since my wife is 3 months pregnant and we don't know where he is, 2002 we have been told that he is on jail,

My daugther or step daugther is now 5 years old and have no Idea that I am not her biological father, on the birth certificate is her mother maiden name,
but she is using my last name, I want to adopt her, I just file a stepparent adoption in city hall, I have been told that we have to contact the biological father, or run an add in the newspaper, or file a termination of right,

What do I need to do? how can we run an add in the newspaper if he don't live here in United States? How can I file a termination of right?
We live in California

Last edited:

It sounds like you are wanting to do this without an attorney. I highly discourage that especially since you don't know where the father is, possibly in another country. Even if you should get the adoption granted, he could come back and have it reversed for lack of proper notice.

You need to hire an experience adoption attorney in your town, one that is also experienced in contested adoptions. Should the father decide to fight the adoption, it can get very expensive for you.

Amkerom83

I don't think it's deficult to do this on my own, First of all the biodad never seen his daugther, my wife is three months pregnant when we live together, also he is in another country and cannot be here in america,

The only thing is I need to know how can I file a termination of right

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's not as simple as you think, especially with Dad not being easy to contact. There are very specific procedures you need to follow before service by publication will be permitted by the court. Those procedures are state specific.

Your command of English doesn't seem to be the greatest, and you've already shown that you're not great at following directions. Did you see the question in the posting box, which you deleted? The one which asks "What is the name of your state?" Or the directive in BIG RED LETTERS right above it that says "*** Please include the name of the appropriate state as laws often differ.***"? Do you think those are included just for sh**s & giggles?

Do yourself, your wife and the kid a favor and speak with a local attorney.

LdiJ

Amkerom83 said:
I don't think it's deficult to do this on my own, First of all the biodad never seen his daugther, my wife is three months pregnant when we live together, also he is in another country and cannot be here in america,

The only thing is I need to know how can I file a termination of right
It would be extremely foolish to do this without an attorney. Be smart.

Amkerom83

Thanks for your verbal harassment and insult stealth2 I know my English is not great my tongue is not use to speak only one language but I trained them how to behave and don’t use nasty words to insult people, I was tough that whatever is in your heart comes out into your mouth, if your mouth is dirty your heart must be filty, But anyway thanks for your advice, maybe I don't speak great english but I'll show you I can do it

The laws are different from state to state which is why stealth pointed out that you failed to include it. The legal forms are hard for someone who has great english skills to understand which is why she pointed out your lack of english skills. The point is if you want to do this then the wise choice is to obtain a lawyer. Please take her and the other poster's advice.

WOW!
Everyone on here including me told you NOT to attempt this yourself. This is not something that you want to be cheap on. Spend the money if you want to do this right. Otherwise, it could cost you double when you do have to get an attorney to clean up the mess you made.
Put your ego aside and pull out the check book. Get yourself a good adoption attorney.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Amkerom83 said:
Thanks for your verbal harassment and insult stealth2 I know my English is not great my tongue is not use to speak only one language but I trained them how to behave and don’t use nasty words to insult people, I was tough that whatever is in your heart comes out into your mouth, if your mouth is dirty your heart must be filty, But anyway thanks for your advice, maybe I don't speak great english but I'll show you I can do it
What verbal harrassment? If you want to do this the right way, use an attorney. If you want to dick around on your own, go right ahead - you'll end up hiring an attorney in the long run anyway.

You came on here asking what to do next in your case. It is apparent that you CANNOT do this without assistance of some kind. So even if someone happened to give you some advice that was helpful, then you really didn't do it on your own now did you? The courts don't have much patience for pro se litigants. The court clerk will get to a certain point with you where he/she will tell you that you will have to hire an attorney to go any farther with it, because they cannot give you legal advice.

Adoptions are difficult, even for experienced attorneys. Each case is different. Just because the court allowed you to file the Petition, does not mean that the Petition is complete and actually valid. Filing the Petition is easy step #1. Now you have asked us what easy step #2 is. Should you happen to satisfy the court for #1 and #2, do you even know what step #3, 4, 5, or more would be? What about if dad wants to fight this? He would get an attorney to defend him for free, and you would get blown away by any attorney. This adoption would never happen.

Be careful. Your ego is showing again.

I for one, will not attempt to even help you anymore. I have actually worked on many adoptions cases and I know all the procedures. You are in way over your head. What do you think attorneys go all those years to law school for? This information cannot be learned over the net for free and just by asking a question.

We are not the ignorant, stubborn ones, you are. I'm outta this thread! Everyone else following me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">