• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extent of Negligence Waivers in Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brin57

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi, I'm from the UK. My son is coming to the USA this Summer. He can take part in a Class 2 Whitewater Rafting activity but has been asked to sign a "Release of Liability" form which waives all rights to sue, even for negligence on the part of the organisers to the fullest extent permitted by law.

What is the "fullest extent permitted" ? Is the release worth the paper it is written on i.e. the Courts would not enforce it or will the Courts uphold the agreement, and if so, to what extent.

shortbus

Courts can & do enforce these waivers, pretty broadly. But they are a standard feature in sporting activities in the USA. I had to sign one to take a yoga class.

In the UK, the injury litigation system keeps out more frivolous claims because the loser pays the court costs of the winner. Whereas in the US, everyone pays their own costs, so if you've got a lawyer working on contingency, there's nothing to lose by suing.

That said, I would definitely make sure he has travel / health insurance that covers him while he's here.

Have fun.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">