• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non conforming land use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rodneydunes

]What is the name of your state? Delaware

My question is this. The multifamily building I own has always since the 1940s had parking across the whole front of the building (50 feet). My father in law purchased the building in 1967 and always used the front area as parking as did the original owner. The town was incorporated in 1981 and at that time started the use of requiring parking permits. They then changed the code to say you were only allowed a 20 foot driveway for parking and all the rest is subject to parking permits. We are located in a beach resort town and the whole area is sand. The parking has always been one behind the other for each apartment (4 units total). The town code states that each unit must have two parking spaces in off street parking. Since we are a non conforming building that was originally built too close to the property line since it was not regulated at the time of construction, and because it has the space available in front of the building even though it is on town property that has always been used for parking, would this not be considered a non conforming situation and the parking be grandfathered. It has continuously been used for parking for this building since the 1940s without exception. The only change is the town now insists that we have to buy parking permits to park where we have always parked. Would not this parking be grandfathered and not require permits? The building was remodeled in 2001 when we purchased it but only to the existing structure with siding, windows, etc.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

shortbus

So your argument is, you've parked on town property for so long that they cannot now require you to get permits.

A nice idea, but not actually grounded in any principle of law. And no, you can't adversely possess government land -- they are exempt.

Rodneydunes

Non Conforming Land Use

State of Delaware

Actually, I am not trying to claim the land or get out of paying the permits. According to everything I have read and according to the director of the state zoning board, any non conforming use does not change because of zoning so yes, I can continue to park the way we always have but I may be required to purchase permits for some of it. I was just afraid that the town could come in and take alway my right to park there but I am told the road and it's off street area in front of our building are not owned by the town but by the state, and since it has always been used in this manner and nothing has changed other than the town actually became an incorporated town, I may continue to do so. I am aware of where our property boundaries are and they are marked so I am not trying to gain any additional property just the right to be able to use the ground in front of my building for parking. I found all this out after my post. Claiming the land was never an issue nor was not paying for permits. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">