• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supplier and Liens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matsar8

What is the name of your state? California

I am a C-6 Contractor.
In September 2003, I was hired by a General Contractor (GC) to do the cabinets in his newly constructed house. I got behind schedule by about 2-3 weeks, but others were still working, also.
The job I was on prior to his got drug out, not due to anything on my part, then they did not pay me for 2 months.
A supplier fronted me $ 8,000 worth of material, and filed a pre-lien on the project.
When I was delivering the last $ 1,500 item, the GC would not let me on the property. He went around town to all the suppliers I worked with cussing and calling me names. The Interior Decorator thought I should file a libel/slander suit, but I didn’t have the money, and just wanted to get it over with.
This one supplier told me they could not do business with me any longer, because they did not want to jeopardize their long-time relationship with him. So, I told them if they wanted to be paid, they better file their mechanic’s lien, because he owed me $ 8,000 and if he didn’t pay me, then I could not pay them.
The supplier has sent me bills all along, and hired an attorney. When I explained to the attorney what happened, and that I had not assets, and was probably going to be put on disability, he dropped it. They hired another attorney, in December 2004, and filed a lawsuit against my wife, and I, for
$ 11,000 now.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself, or any loopholes for me to get out, because they did not lien the job for their money?
I do not have the money for an attorney, so I have to represent myself.
I know I am going to have to file a Response, is there a specific form?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">