• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question re: co-ownership of a property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihavehope

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

Ten years ago when I left my marriage with my two children, my step-mother co-signed a lease for me to rent an apartment for a year. This wasn't in a very nice area to raise my children, so after the lease was up I was hoping to purchase a home. I was unable to get a mortgage on my own so my step-mother once again co-signed the loan, making her a co-owner. It was basically a low risk investment for her, and then I could have a nice home for myself and my children. After about six years the neighborhood was again not so great, I was on SSDI and again unable to get a mortgage, so again my step-mother helped me out. Now after being married for about 2 1/2 years (husband not on title), my now husband just up and left me for another women. With only having child support and SSDI as my income, I can no longer afford my home. I had to file bankrupcy about a year ago, because the only way I was affording my home and my bills was by using cash advances from my credit cards. Because the housing market has been pretty good in my area....we could make a pretty good profit when I finally sell the house. My question is: In my current financial possition I am unable to afford to live comfortably (upper/lower class) in my current area, I have family and friends in FL where (if my step-mother helped me again) I could afford a very nice home in a very nice area. Because my ex-husband is fighting my move, he is trying to say that any money made off of the sale of my house should go toward rent or purchase of something in my current area. I know my step-mother would gladly help me again allowing me to use the profit from the house, and co-signing a loan again (if I asked her to). If I went to FL the property that we would buy would be a good investment of the money, and I would be able to live comfortably with my children on my fixed income. If it wasn't for my step-mother co-signing these loans I would have nothing....can a judge really force me to stay in PA???? We never agreed that money made on any of these properties would be mine, infact originally we said that if she took the risk on me....she would get any profit and/or tax benefit.....it just happens that if I ask her to help me again she probably will in order to give her grand-kids a better life. Can they force her to give me half the money and co-sign a lease or mortgage?????.....especially since that is not what I want????? I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">