• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaking and entering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

degenerate

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was recently charged with breaking and entering with intent to commit a misdemeanor other than assault and battery or tresspass which is a felony here in Virginia.
I as extremely intoxicated the night it happened and I'm 19 years old and go to a university. I'm actually studying to work in law enforcement. Passed out on the street, I was confronted by a vagrant. I thought he was trying to mug me and so I took off running. I lost all my belongings and the keys to enter my dorm, I then headed to what I thought was my friends house because I thought my stuff could be there. Turned out it wasn't his house. Now I don't remember doing this, but I was told I kicked down the door. I remember being tackeled by the resident who then called the police. I was appologizing profusely and offered to pay for the door. When the cops came I told them I was drunk, it was obvious though because I had vomit all over my shirt. I hired a pretty good lawyer and he feels that I should only be convicted of being drunk in public and destruction of property and hopefully just have to do some community service.
The only intent I had to do something wrong was to get drunk. My question is, why would I be charged with a felony if they felt my intent was only to commit a misdemeanor? Also, what do you all feel the consequences of this will be?
The judge is still letting me go to Ireland for a summer vacation, is this a good sign?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

degenerate said:

I was recently charged with breaking and entering with intent to commit a misdemeanor other than assault and battery or tresspass which is a felony here in Virginia.
I as extremely intoxicated the night it happened and I'm 19 years old and go to a university. I'm actually studying to work in law enforcement. Passed out on the street, I was confronted by a vagrant. I thought he was trying to mug me and so I took off running. I lost all my belongings and the keys to enter my dorm, I then headed to what I thought was my friends house because I thought my stuff could be there. Turned out it wasn't. Now I don't remember doing this, but I was told I kicked down the door. I remember being tackeled by the resident who then called the police. I was appologizing profusely and offered to pay for the door. When the cops came I told them I was drunk, it was obvious though because I had vomit all over my shirt. I hired a pretty good lawyer and he feels that I should only be convicted of being drunk in public and destruction of property and hopefully just have to do some community service.
The only intent I had to do something wrong was to get drunk. My question is, why would I be charged with a felony if they felt my intent was only to commit a misdemeanor? Also, what do you all feel the consequences of this will be?
The judge is still letting me go to Ireland for a summer vacation, is this a good sign?

Q: why would I be charged with a felony if they felt my intent was only to commit a misdemeanor?

A: Nothing in your post indicates that "they" felt it was your intent to only commit a misdemeanor. Give us the statute number you were charged under.

Q: Also, what do you all feel the consequences of this will be?

A: I don't know.

rmet4nzkx

degenerate said:

I as extremely intoxicated the night it happened and I'm 19 years old and go to a university. I'm actually studying to work in law enforcement. Passed out on the street, I was confronted by a vagrant. I thought he was trying to mug me and so I took off running. I lost all my belongings and the keys to enter my dorm, I then headed to what I thought was my friends house because I thought my stuff could be there. Turned out it wasn't. Now I don't remember doing this, but I was told I kicked down the door. I remember being tackeled by the resident who then called the police. I was appologizing profusely and offered to pay for the door. When the cops came I told them I was drunk, it was obvious though because I had vomit all over my shirt. I hired a pretty good lawyer and he feels that I should only be convicted of being drunk in public and destruction of property and hopefully just have to do some community service.
Stay out of the PUBS :eek:

degenerate

The reason why I stated that I thought they "felt" my intent was to commit a misdemeanor is because that's what was written on the warrant.

"Break and enter a dwelling house with the intent to commit a misdemeanor other than assault and battery or tresspass."

Here's the VCC code and Statute number.

VCC:BUR-2219-F6 Statute:18.2-92

I have no previous criminal record not even a speeding ticket, and have a 3.0 GPA in school.

Thank You.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">