• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another question for advice, please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zippysgoddess

What is the name of your state?PA

Okay, this was just so embarassing.

I was in a store yesterday shopping with a friend of mine. We are both big coupon users as we need to save as much money as possible on groceries. As we were in the store, we stopped to look at the Sunday papers, she found one that someone had messed up, so the coupons and ads were sitting on the top of the paper, instead of inside it. She proceeded to take the loose coupons and place them into a paper she was buying and put it in the buggy. This store has very large signs all over, regarding the taking of coupons out of papers being theft.

It got worse, throughout the store, there were coupons on some products, the kind that are stuck on with adhesive so you get them if you buy the product. Now, when I see these, such as on 2 liter bottles of pop, I will try to grab a couple bottles with the coupons on them at once, so I can use one with that purchase and have one or two coupons for future use. Not a problem since I am buying the items and that is what the coupons are intended for, purchasers of the items.

However, my friend was very blatantly just digging through the items, in front of everyone, peeling off the coupons and sticking them in her purse to use later, without buying those items. I was so embarassed and didn't know what to say so I just went on with my shopping and tried to pretend I hadn't seen anything.

My concern of course is, that even though I didn't do it, and she got away with it yesterday, if she does this again and we are shopping together, and someone stops her, could I also be in trouble? Even though I didn't do it? Maybe as an accessory or something?

It creates a real dilemma for me, as I hate theft of any kind, many of you already know that, from posts I have made in regards to shoplifting. We are good friends but this has seriously made me reconsider whether or not I should shop with her ever again.

I know some would not consider the taking of coupons as theft, but if they are in a newspaper or on a product that you are supposed to purchase to obtain them, I can't imagine acquiring them in any other way. I do not believe in using coupons for items you don't purchase, or using them in ways for which they aren't intended, really you just screw yourself if you do, because if it happens to much, stores will stop taking them.

Anyway, I am just not sure what to do here, should I speak to someone at the store about it? Should I speak to her about it? Should I just avoid going to stores with her?

I regularly save over 60% or more on my groceries with couponing, I cannot afford to be arrested or banned from a store because of her stupidity.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

zippysgoddess said:
What is the name of your state?PA

Okay, this was just so embarassing.

I was in a store yesterday shopping with a friend of mine. We are both big coupon users as we need to save as much money as possible on groceries. As we were in the store, we stopped to look at the Sunday papers, she found one that someone had messed up, so the coupons and ads were sitting on the top of the paper, instead of inside it. She proceeded to take the loose coupons and place them into a paper she was buying and put it in the buggy. This store has very large signs all over, regarding the taking of coupons out of papers being theft.

It got worse, throughout the store, there were coupons on some products, the kind that are stuck on with adhesive so you get them if you buy the product. Now, when I see these, such as on 2 liter bottles of pop, I will try to grab a couple bottles with the coupons on them at once, so I can use one with that purchase and have one or two coupons for future use. Not a problem since I am buying the items and that is what the coupons are intended for, purchasers of the items.

However, my friend was very blatantly just digging through the items, in front of everyone, peeling off the coupons and sticking them in her purse to use later, without buying those items. I was so embarassed and didn't know what to say so I just went on with my shopping and tried to pretend I hadn't seen anything.

My concern of course is, that even though I didn't do it, and she got away with it yesterday, if she does this again and we are shopping together, and someone stops her, could I also be in trouble? Even though I didn't do it? Maybe as an accessory or something?

It creates a real dilemma for me, as I hate theft of any kind, many of you already know that, from posts I have made in regards to shoplifting. We are good friends but this has seriously made me reconsider whether or not I should shop with her ever again.

I know some would not consider the taking of coupons as theft, but if they are in a newspaper or on a product that you are supposed to purchase to obtain them, I can't imagine acquiring them in any other way. I do not believe in using coupons for items you don't purchase, or using them in ways for which they aren't intended, really you just screw yourself if you do, because if it happens to much, stores will stop taking them.

Anyway, I am just not sure what to do here, should I speak to someone at the store about it? Should I speak to her about it? Should I just avoid going to stores with her?

I regularly save over 60% or more on my groceries with couponing, I cannot afford to be arrested or banned from a store because of her stupidity.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Q: My concern of course is, that even though I didn't do it, and she got away with it yesterday, if she does this again and we are shopping together, and someone stops her, could I also be in trouble?

A: Yes.

Q: Even though I didn't do it?

A: Even though....

Q: Maybe as an accessory or something?

A: How did this person get to the store? If you carried her to the store in your car, the cops could say you were driving the getaway car.

What your "friend" is doing is theft. Stay away from this person.

parrotmom

I'd confront her first......

I'd confront your friend first. Let her explain herself, she may honestly think it's not considered theft. Tell her the facts and let her know if she continues to do it, you'll stop shopping with her and you'll confront the store. No way should you go down with her.

zippysgoddess

That is what I thought, thank you seniorjudge, I just wanted to be certain before I took any actions or refused to shop with her again. I figured if it upset me that much, then my intuition was probably telling me the right thing.

And no, it was her car, I do not drive, have never had more than a learning permit a few years ago. With my current pain and disabilities, I am reluctant to pursue getting a license until I know how my pinched nerves and stuff are going to affect anything.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, it is very much appreciated and I respect your advice, you are awesome!!

Really, I think she doesn't care because she doesn't live here, she is only here when she comes to visit us most weekends. I, however, have to shop at these stores all the time. I have come to know these people, they trust and like me, and I really don't want it ruined because of her stupidity. My DH has a car and can take me shopping so she can go by herself from now on!!

zippysgoddess

parrotmom, this person is the type who really won't care even if I tell her it is theft. Her philosophy about life is that no one matters except her, she thinks the whole word revolves around her and she also has that "IT COULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME" philosophy.

I do not go to her house hardly at all anymore, because if her sons are there, there are drugs and they just don't care, I have a 10 year old child and am not going to lose him or have CS enter the picture because they don't care what goes on in their house.

My DH and I do not believe in this stuff, we have worked hard to better our lives. My DH is also in college majoring in Government and Public Service, a straight A student (Okay, he once got a B in Spanish! LOL!) but could you imagine if we were at their place and the cops showed up? His job prospects when he finishes school would be ZERO!!

parrotmom

I hear ya.....

I've known people like that....It'll catch up these people that live by "it won't happen to me". Ya just have to sit back and laugh when it does!

zippysgoddess

Yeah but don't you just wish sometimes that it were legal to slap some sense into them?

You would think they would learn their lesson, the husband can't buy a gun because of felony charges of domestic terrorism from years ago. Their oldest son spent months in a juvenile facility when he was 15 because of 9 counts of grand theft auto and their youngest just got his first MIP charges and was lucky enough to get ARD. The woman I was speaking of in my post, is the only one in the house who has even finished high school, everyone else dropped out.

Of course for her children, when you are 20 years old and still in the 9th grade.................

parrotmom

Omg

Sounds like good parenting skills to me..NOT!

It'll take a nice lengthy stay in prison for them to wake up. I've had so called "friends" like that. You try and try to help them...ends up bitting you in a$$ in the long run. Can't help anyone who won't help themselves. I learned that the hard way!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">