• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deed of gift

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jatrmd

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I currently own a rental property with another party. The other party is currently in the process of taking over the property by themselves. The mortgage is in our personal names. The other party has arranged to refinance in their name only. Because this is considered a refinance and not a sale, they have arranged a deed of gift to get my name off of the deed. I have never heard of a deed of gift. We are also partners in an LLC which will be disolved. The other party will first purchase our interest in the LLC for our basis cost. Are there tax ramifications for this? After the deed has been recorded, is there any liability on the side of the donor?

I want to make sure that there is no liability for the property on my part and that this is all legal. I don't want to find out a few years from now when there's nothing I can do about it. The other party is refusing to use a lawyer and is going through a title company for closing on the loan.

divgradcurl

jatrmd said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I currently own a rental property with another party. The other party is currently in the process of taking over the property by themselves. The mortgage is in our personal names. The other party has arranged to refinance in their name only. Because this is considered a refinance and not a sale, they have arranged a deed of gift to get my name off of the deed. I have never heard of a deed of gift. We are also partners in an LLC which will be disolved. The other party will first purchase our interest in the LLC for our basis cost. Are there tax ramifications for this? After the deed has been recorded, is there any liability on the side of the donor?

I want to make sure that there is no liability for the property on my part and that this is all legal. I don't want to find out a few years from now when there's nothing I can do about it. The other party is refusing to use a lawyer and is going through a title company for closing on the loan.
Just because the other party isn't using a lawyer doesn't mean that YOU shouldn't hire your own lawyer. There could very well be tax ramifications, and there could also be continuing liability, especially if any environmental problems crop up. Go see a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">