• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abell1

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

My husband wants to adopt my daughter but we need to know the laws about the adoption. How long to we have to be married before we can start procedures, etc? Can anyone tell me where to find this information? My daughters will be 4 in about a month and her biological father has not seen her since she was about 6 months old. Since that time he has not try to communicate about her in any way. He has never provided support so I know I can have his rights terminated on grounds of abandonment.

My husband is who she calls dad and he has provided support for her for the last 2 years but we have only been married about 3 months.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

LdiJ

abell1 said:
What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

My husband wants to adopt my daughter but we need to know the laws about the adoption. How long to we have to be married before we can start procedures, etc? Can anyone tell me where to find this information? My daughters will be 4 in about a month and her biological father has not seen her since she was about 6 months old. Since that time he has not try to communicate about her in any way. He has never provided support so I know I can have his rights terminated on grounds of abandonment.

My husband is who she calls dad and he has provided support for her for the last 2 years but we have only been married about 3 months.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
You really need an attorney for the adoption. An adoption is one thing that you really should NOT attempt to do without one.

abell1

We plan to use an attorney but I want to know the laws concerning step parent adoption before i contact an attorney. I don't want to pay for one now and not be able to complete the adoption for months because we have not been married long enough, etc.

listed3

This all varies state to state. Generally you need consent of the other birth parent, or you have to prove abandonment (which may require no visits or no child support or both for a one or two year period) and that the adoption is in the best interests of the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">