• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

She's nothing but a Rich and Snotty Thief

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ArtistRights

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I am a self employed artist.

A lady, who is an attorney, contacted me. She wanted to sell some of my art, play the middle man. She would receive a commission. She also wanted to show samples of my work. I loaned her five "Show Pieces" with the understanding that they were for 'show' purposes only and not for sale. There was no written contract, only verbal.

Now, not only will she NOT return my art, but says I owed her money because I wasn't punctual for meetings, and I wasted her time. She further explained that she was going to tally up and subtract what she thinks my art is worth and send me a bill for the rest. She told me never to call her again and if I didn't like it, I needed to hire an attorney.

She knows I can't afford an attorney. I honestly thought she would return my art, but I realize she isn't. I'm beginning to think, she's hoping too much time will pass and I won't be allowed to do anything legally. If I file charges against her, I have a feeling she will sue me for malicious prosecution, or something worse, if I contact the police. She said she has "friends in high places" and she "knows the ins and outs of the law."

I've allowed her to intimidate me - all I want is my artwork back. Please advise?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

ArtistRights said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

I am a self employed artist. I have a question concerning my artwork.

A woman called a little over a year ago, and asked me if she could sell my art on commission. I met her several years back. She said she was "in charge this year of her childs private school Art Auction." (she is not with a gallery) She sold my art with out my permission. (five pieces) how much she sold them for, I do not know. We never discussed prices because they weren't meant to be sold. Plus I said I did not want to auction off my art - but I would do portraits.

There was no written contract, only verbal. The art was for showing only - for potential clients to see what I could do. I have witnesses to this. I was apprehensive about letting her take my art, because I didn't want anything to happen to these pieces. She said she had a lot of friends ready to spend money but they would like to see samples. She said she would take care of them.

I had tried to call her (say four or five times) to discuss getting back my art, she hung up the first couple of times - the last time (fall of '04) she cussed me out and said that the art was "probably" sold. She said, I didn't show up for one of our meetings (not true) and I was late to all of the rest. ( yes, I was late a couple of times, 15 mins. maybe?) she was going to tally up all the grief I've caused her and send me a bill. And now I owed her money for her trouble. If I didn't like it, I needed to hire an attorney.

She knows I can't afford an attorney. I'm single with a small child. The first time she called, I was trying to keep my house out of foreclosure. I've never even raised my voice to her. As a matter of fact, I could hardly speak because I was afraid she'd hear me crying. I never caused her trouble. Further, I did two commissioned pieces (paintings) for her. On one piece I was suppose to make a certain amount and the day she gave me the money for it, she said she had to sell it for less. SO if anything, I have only made her money on top of money.

I'm not good with confrontation to begin with and she has a certain way of making me look like I am in the wrong. I've heard that she talks ugly about me and tells people not to deal with me, even goes as far to say I am a horrible mother, which I don't understand why - she has never seen me with my child! a red herring I suppose.

btw, she is an attorney... she said she "knew the ins and outs of the law" and told me she "has friends in high places." Friends have advised me to report her for stealing property. Considering the way she has talked to me and the type of things she has said, I feel she is very vindictive and will go out of her way to get me back. I have no doubt she will sue me for malicious prosecution, or worse, if I contact the police. All I want is my art work back.

We are in the same state, different cities however, she is from the city I live in... I feel as though I can't win against her rich snotty attitude and her "friends and family in high places," I feel like my hands are tied. I don't know what to do... call the police? what are my rights?

ANY help is appreciated!

Simplify this convoluted tale.

Start off with how the bad attorney (but I repeat myself) got the pieces and what are you talking about?

Leave out the editorial details.

ArtistRights

seniorjudge said:
Simplify this convoluted tale.

Start off with how the bad attorney (but I repeat myself) got the pieces and what are you talking about?

Leave out the editorial details.
I apologize for the jumbled autobiography, I initially posted. Please notice, I have revised it. Hope it's easier to read. I appreciate your help.

S

seniorjudge

ArtistRights said:
I apologize for the jumbled autobiography, I initially posted. Please notice, I have revised it. Hope it's easier to read. I appreciate your help.
The cops will not treat this as a crime.

I can guarantee you that snotty lawyer in her big girl panties has lots of other lawyers who would be delighted to smack her down.

Go lawyer shopping.

Sounds like there are ethical violations also.

Go get the old bag and report back with results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">