• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adding step-mom to title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcxetna1271

What is the name of your state?Minnesota

I need help. Here is the situation. I bought a house six months ago, but before we did the paper work I've told my step-mom that I will add her name to the title once the moving is complete. During that time she has been paying part of the mortage. I aslo ask her $6000. for down payment. Now six months later she ask me to put her name on the title. My question is, if I put her name on the title will she get all the legal rights to the house, and what percentage of the house does she own? 2nd ?. what happen if I decided to sell the house or what if she die?

S

seniorjudge

pcxetna1271 said:
What is the name of your state?Minnesota

I need help. Here is the situation. I bought a house six months ago, but before we did the paper work I've told my step-mom that I will add her name to the title once the moving is complete. During that time she has been paying part of the mortage. I aslo ask her $6000. for down payment. Now six months later she ask me to put her name on the title. My question is, if I put her name on the title will she get all the legal rights to the house, and what percentage of the house does she own? 2nd ?. what happen if I decided to sell the house or what if she die?
Q: My question is, if I put her name on the title will she get all the legal rights to the house

A: No; you will share all the legal rights with her.

Q: what percentage of the house does she own?

A: It depends on what percentage you give her.

Q: what happen if I decided to sell the house or what if she die?

A: That will be covered by the type of tenancy you give her.

You MUST talk this over with a real estate attorney.

You have asked good questions and the complete answers are very detailed.

Hire a lawyer....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">