• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home sale from divore, closing costs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torakki

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ca.
I recently sold my home due to divorce settlement and in the closing costs, there is over payments made by me for mortgage and taxes. These are now credits in the closing statment that my ex wants half of. I've been paying all housing expensese by myself for the last 3 years. My attorny and her attorny want these over payments to go to a locked trust account (along with other monies) to be argueed in court in a few months. She now refuses to sign the instructions to the title company about the disbursment of the funds unless she gets that money now. The buyers of my home are scheduled to move in this week along with their buyers moving into their old home. The realtor received instructions from my ex, not to contact her for any reason to discuss it and that if I don't agree, she will let the whole deal fall through. She has already submitted her own instructions to the title company.
My question... What can be done about this? I have so much money tied up in moving and aquiring a new place and now the funds are held hostaige. Is there any leagle action I can take. I'm losing interest on the money and if I don't give in, my buyers will have to change their moving plans.
Thanks for any help.

divgradcurl

Torakki said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ca.
I recently sold my home due to divorce settlement and in the closing costs, there is over payments made by me for mortgage and taxes. These are now credits in the closing statment that my ex wants half of. I've been paying all housing expensese by myself for the last 3 years. My attorny and her attorny want these over payments to go to a locked trust account (along with other monies) to be argueed in court in a few months. She now refuses to sign the instructions to the title company about the disbursment of the funds unless she gets that money now. The buyers of my home are scheduled to move in this week along with their buyers moving into their old home. The realtor received instructions from my ex, not to contact her for any reason to discuss it and that if I don't agree, she will let the whole deal fall through. She has already submitted her own instructions to the title company.
My question... What can be done about this? I have so much money tied up in moving and aquiring a new place and now the funds are held hostaige. Is there any leagle action I can take. I'm losing interest on the money and if I don't give in, my buyers will have to change their moving plans.
Thanks for any help.
Why not just give her the half now, let the sale go through, and then just argue about the money later on when it goes to court?

jnazareno

Agreed , Give half now and be happy.
because you know those lawyers want you to fight over this money for a long time and then end up with nothing...happy lawyers makes sad clients :rolleyes:

As I always say to my wife, I'll be happy to give you of half of what I have
if we don't used a lawyer should we get divorce...but should she wants a lawyer, then I rather spend those money with the lawyers to keep her away from the $$..and go for broke. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">