• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Grandbaby needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Billie Sommers

I live in Florida. Our grandbaby has lived with us about 5 yrs. She is 6.
I'm at my witts end....... my son now wants his little girl to live with him. She only knows me& Papa.And my son and his new wife mistreats her when they do have her to visit. She is afraid of her dad but still loves him.
I don't want to turn my son into HRS because they tell me they can't or want do anything anyway. As long as their house is clean and they have some food in the house.
Why doesn't my grandbaby have any say so about where she wants to live? We don't have alot of money. I just want the grandbaby .....SAFE & HAPPY..
Please, can anyone give me any advice?

LdiJ

Billie Sommers said:
I live in Florida. Our grandbaby has lived with us about 5 yrs. She is 6.
I'm at my witts end....... my son now wants his little girl to live with him. She only knows me& Papa.And my son and his new wife mistreats her when they do have her to visit. She is afraid of her dad but still loves him.
I don't want to turn my son into HRS because they tell me they can't or want do anything anyway. As long as their house is clean and they have some food in the house.
Why doesn't my grandbaby have any say so about where she wants to live? We don't have alot of money. I just want the grandbaby .....SAFE & HAPPY..
Please, can anyone give me any advice?
In the US parents have a constitutional right to the care and control of their children. That automatically gives a parent the edge over a non-parent.

However, if the child has lived with you exclusively for the last 5 years (without dad also living there)...that does give you some edge as well.

Do you have legal custody of the child now? If not, WHO has legal custody?

Billie Sommers

My grandbaby needs help

Her Mom& Dad share custody of the grandbaby. She is surpose to live with her Dad. I have guardianship of our grandbaby through her mom. We didn't go through the court but through the school board, so I could get her in school.[Hearth Guardianship]
I love my son very much .........but I also love my grandbaby. I want her to live a "safe" and happy life.
Billie

B

bradybunchmom

child cant choose whom to live with

6 yr olds dont get to choose who to live with. unless you can prove abuse or neglet on the stepmom's part( and not just the childs word) the father has a right to have his child live with him, he has more rights then you do. you have to let her go, he is her father.

dallas702

You need to work as closely and cooperatively with your son as possible....otherwise you could find yourself alienated from your grandchild with very limited visitation. If your son is working ask him if yu can be the "sitter" while he is working. That would be a substantial amount of time even when she is in school. He could drop her off with you and pick her up on the way home...or come by for dinner and then take her home. That would build a great relationship for all of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">