• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a permanent resident open a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mast

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? - Ohio

I am a permanent resident who plans to open a small business in the US. I was told that i need to be a citizen in order to do so. Is it true?
thanks

bspencer

Go for it!

When It comes to opening a small business, it depends on the type of business you want to open, and if it operates acrosss state lines, as to where the regulations lie.

To my understanding, if you are eligable for employment in the US, you should be eligable for small business ownership.
For Taxing purposes, you must have a social-security number or equivalent so that the business will be taxed correctly.

I am assuming since you refer to opening a small business, you will be operating primarily in ohio. If this is the case, you should contact your secretary of state for clarification if you are eligable. if the secretary of state aknowledges your business entity, then for all legal purposes, that business entity exists.

I have included the phone number to the secretary of state as well as the e-mail address to contact them.

614-466-3910
[email protected]

Good luck in forming your business!

PS, Here's a statement from the Secretary of State's Duties

Granting Authority to Do Business in Ohio
The Business Services Division receives and approves articles of incorporation for Ohio corporations and grants licenses to out-of-state corporations seeking to do business in Ohio. Limited partnerships and limited liability companies also file with this office.

The Corporations section of the Business Services Division also approves amendments to filed documents; mergers; consolidations and dissolutions; and registers trade marks, trade names and fictitious names.

The section approves and keeps a registry of business names, names and addresses of statutory agents, incorporators' names, the corporation's charter number, the date of incorporation, and the number of shares authorized.

You may purchase copies of corporate documents for existing businesses by calling (614) 466-2585.

A free publication, the Guide to Organizing a Business in Ohio, provides step-by-step procedures for incorporating a business.

If you are organizing or operating a non-profit entity, the Legal Handbook for Non-profit Organizations provides information about incorporation and legal and tax considerations.

The Secretary of State's Guide to Registering Your Trademark or Service Mark in Ohio, is available for those who need information on these subjects.

For a free copy of the Guide to Organizing a Business in Ohio, Legal Handbook for Nonprofit Organizations, or the Guide to Registering Your Trademark or Service Mark in Ohio, call (614) 466-3910

search_me

hi,earn and learn about financial products

:) Hi,every body wants all comforts in life.even you can.Just go for investment today according to marketting strategies and reap benefits in future.
I too have gone through these sites and these help me a lot in learning about Financial products and about International Market trends and also helped me in investing my money and now I am reaping the rewards . I also hope for same to you all.Reference links are
http://www.investorsonline.gi
http://www.tradingplatforms.org

Shay-Pari'e

search_me said:
:) Hi,every body wants all comforts in life.even you can.Just go for investment today according to marketting strategies and reap benefits in future.
I too have gone through these sites and these help me a lot in learning about Financial products and about International Market trends and also helped me in investing my money and now I am reaping the rewards . I also hope for same to you all.Reference links are
http://www.investorsonline.gi
http://www.tradingplatforms.org

Nice speach :rolleyes: ............It would have been better if you could spell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">